CHAPTER 15

Yasmeen avoided the glare Audu was giving her as he sat across from her on the the rug splayed over the living room floor. He was clearly upset that she snapped at him over the phone the previous night. She might like him,but she liked her sleep better and he was trying to stand between her and her sleep, so 'served him right' she glared back as she chewed on her food.

" I hope you don't mind us serving you on the floor. I'd thought you would prefer the dining table..." Alhaji Bashir stopped to take a breath" but then I thought now that you are back ,you would need to adapt to our norms."

" Of course." Yasmeen sipped her glass of water." My parents are trying quite hard to see to that and I am not complaining.

" That's good. Good for you." Alhaji Bashir made a few jokes that everyone laughed at, except for Audu's mother and Audu. She wore a blank face the whole time. She had answered coldly to Yasmeen's greeting earlier that she began to wonder if the woman was really happy with her presence.

After dinner, they talked. Baby was eager to get Yasmeen to her room because the last time she was there, she didn't get to see her room. Baby's room was mad entirely with pink in every shade. Yasmeen was shocked when Baby showed her a collection of some fancy wears she said to be wearing when she got married. They were flimsy and revealing.

" My goodness Baby, where'd you get these?" Baby shushed her, gesturing at her to lower her voice." What are you doing with these"

"Aren't they beautiful? I saw some of them online and ordered, and some I bought from a friend. Her mother sells these stuff." Baby was excited while Yasmeen watched agape" aren't they sexy? Come on! Say something. I can order some for you if you want. You know, to sweep my brother off his feet....make him worship you." Baby said winking naughtily at her.

Yasmeen was now awestruck! Baby was just a love stricken teenager who was spoiled by a rich boyfriend, she thought. She didn't peg her naughty and mischievous. These were things she saw only in movies. And talking about her and Audu that way........ Everyone knew?

" Shut up Baby! How can you have these things.....I mean.... you are too young to know these things."

" No I am not. I am getting married as soon as I finish my WAEC. I want to look good for my husband so he doesn't have to look outside or in magazines."

" No love. Don't you for a moment think about chasing your passion? Your dreams, becoming something, say.... a journalist, a lawyer, an artist, a writer...... You name it."

" None! I am not a the school-type girl. I hate school. I suck at everything academic. I have made up my mind to get married to Ali, Yasmeen. I shall not need to make money. "

" Baby there's life outside of love. I mean love is exciting and all fun, but you would need a break. Especially when Ali has to leave for work and be away for a long time. Then you would be lonely and miserable. " Yasmeen was satisfied seeing that she was beginning to make sense to Baby. " You do great makeup. Why don't you try explore that"

" Incredible" Baby screamed" I have never thought of that! Oh Yasmeen where have you been my whole life?" She jumped on Yasmeen, knocking her over on the sofa , and soon they were a heap of mess.

There came a knock on the door followed by the sudden appearance of the person from the other side of the door.

" Yaa Abdulsalam" Baby rasped out, recovering from their hazy  embrace. She swallowed , hoping her brother' attention didn't get caught by the bag full of her lingeries." Is er.. there er... something you want?" She finished quickly, her eyes darting from him to Yasmeen to every other thing in the room, and back.

" Maa asked for you." He said wearing a frown, putting his hands in the pockets of his well tailored afarangiya . Yasmeen thought he looked great." She's in her room" he said looking straight into Yasmeen's eyes. His eyes had the same effect on her, like that first time. Boring into hers, demanding. For a moment, she forgot about what happened between them over the phone the previous night. Her heart raced when he started taking steps towards her instead of leaving with Baby. She would follow Baby but it was already late for her as she had  unintentionally nodded frantically when she told her she would be right back.She shifted in her seat and looked away from him.

" Go tell him yourself right?" He quoted what she said to him.

" Hmm... What?" She scratched the back of her ear.

" You heard me." He stared, enjoying the uneasiness he had inflicted upon her. She didn't answer him so he decided to push the subject." What were you girls talking about?"

" Girl stuff" Yasmeen shrugged. " You don't want to know"

" Boyfriends, love messages?" He was surprised when she laughed hard at his statement. " What's funny?"

"Love messages? Seriously?" She laughed again. " What era are you living in?"

"Why are you laughing? This isn't funny, I don't like your girl talks with my sister. She's naive and takes everything serious."

" She's a fine little lady, in love. She has her hormones bustling and needs to vent some of her thoughts to a girl." She poked at his shoulder now that he was sitting right next to her." You can't have that. You are jealous that your sister no longer needs you."

" I see that I would have to clasp your lips before you stop talking." He stated with rising fury. Yasmeen was right. He had always been Baby's go-to person, until he denied her dating. He had began to scold her over little things that he didn't bother to before. He pushed her away and now, it haunted him.

" Maybe you should do that with your lips." She said narrowing her eyes with intensity. Something stirred up in Abdulsalam, making him stand up abruptly.

" What nonsense!? Is that the kind of girl you are? " His voice raised a bit." Are you talking to my sister about these stuff? "

Yasmeen herself was surprised by her boldness. Why should she say that to him? She was mentally scolding herself when she found that he was seriously falling for her mischief.

" Yes" she stated trying to sound convincing.

" I should have known better than to think you were mannered. You obviously are used to doing these things in England." He spat in disgust.

" Blame yourself." She stroked her hair. " And it was fun back there. I would explode if we don't get married soon." She stated making a face.

" Who? I can never marry a girl like you." Yasmeen rolled her eye " Go tell your father that."

She swore he was going to explode at her last statement. He slammed the door behind him as he left.

" Yaa Audu will drive you home so that you two can chat on the way." Alhaji Bashir said, having handed her and bundle of cash which she kindly refused, like a good girl but eventually took it at his insistence. She thanked him in Kanuri, which brought a big grin to his face. She turned to Audu and raised her eyebrows at him, making him stare daggers at her.

" There's a girl I love. We promised to each other that we would marry and be together forever. Just the two of us." Audu started. Yasmeen knew where his statement was going. " I do not want to go against my words."

" Defeat eh?" Yasmeen looked straight as the car drove slowly along the quiet road.

" What?' Audu asked.

" You are defeated. Your father wants to continue with the wedding no matter what."

" Unless you call off the wedding yourself." He finished.

" Ohhh" she made a sweet face. " How considerate your father is. I would not disappoint him."

"What do you mean?" He asked, eyes on her.

" I cannot call the wedding off. It's a sweet gesture from your father that I have to return by marrying you. Eyes on the road" she called his attention towards the road.

Abdulsalam wondered how to convince the girl to call off the wedding because he was getting closer with Kubra now and angering her was the last thing he wanted.

" Can you speed up a little? I need to get home and rest." Abdulsalam having nothing to say, sped up a bit. When she got off the car in her house premises, she bent to him through a open door. " In any case it makes you feel better, I don't mind your girlfriend coming in second." And she walked away from his car having shut the door.