CHAPTER 17

It was finally the day of the primaries. The convention square was bustling with loud music and rowdy audience. They yelled praises on arrival of every notable politician. Flags and banners floating in the air, the crowd raised fists.

The entire square screamed PDC. On every nook and cranny of the venue hung little party flags and floral adornment. For a big gathering like one of a primary election, one would call the decorations ornate. For Hauwa, it was just as it should be. She had hired the best event planners for the job. Abdulkarim would lecture her on how the money would have been put into better use and how wasteful she was, but she shrugged it off. It was from her personal account that she made the arrangement. He had nothing to lose even if he lost  the candidacy she thought. Besides, she was sure they were winning. After that fateful night of the private meeting, Bukar and Grema had made vicious moves against Abdulkarim played them right into Bashir's hands. Bashir had assured Abdulkarim that he had handled the matter the best way and that he didn't have to worry about them again. Bukar had began to miss party meetings on purpose to which he was given a warning to be fined the next time he missed any. Hauwa pondered what Bashir must have done to silence Bukar that got him upset to that degree. She silently hoped the election went as planned without any difficulty.

" Hajiya Hauwa Sadiq." A tall fair woman stood before her, dressed in an expensive white lace. The woman wore sufficient make-up to compliment her dress. The woman's ears,neck and wrists were adorned with gold jewelry, her strong perfume filling Hauwa's nostrils." You have forgotten about me." The woman stretched her hand out for Hauwa to shake.

" The honorable women's leader PDC" They shook." There's would be no election without you people.

" Not anymore of course. You have taken that job for yourself which leaves me to resting my wornout knees. " The woman laughed,lines of ageing forming around her eyes.

" Your husband is no doubt going to win this primaries. We all support him." The woman said.

" I have never been sure about anything." Hauwa reassured.

"It's like he's contesting unopposed. Look who's competing with him. Grema, of all people." The woman snorted." Our party would go in ruins if he's ever elected. I mean...... The man himself is unsure. Look at him" she gestured at him, making Hauwa look in their his direction. There sat Grema next to senator Bukar exchanging greetings with the party executives. " He's looking here and there like a squirrel." Hauwa almost laughed out loud at the older woman's remark.

" Please don't make me laugh on a serious occasion like this." Hauwa silently laughed facing her front." Pictures are taken. I don't want to be a meme."

This time the woman laughed. She then reached into her bag and took out a nose mask and wore it. " We could laugh better this way" she said drawing Hauwa's attention.

" Exactly. Why couldn't I think of it in the first place." She wore her nose mask too, followed by shades.

She appreciated the sunglasses more because she could look straight at her husband without him noticing. He sat on the adjacent bar. Sitting arrangements were made to separate the men from the women. All executives sat on the front row of both columns. Followed by aspirants, then the delegates.

The party chairman gave the opening speech after prayers were conducted by the Imam and the Priest. It was Hauwa's turn to deliver her speech about the party's progress over the years. After she did, the women's leader stood up and gingered the crowd up, praising the women in the party and relaying how much positive impact women had had on the party so far with their support.

The elections began. Delegates began to cast their votes as they were being called upon one after the other..........

Meanwhile....