CHAPTER 21

In the evening, while Yasmeen was in the kitchen with her mother taking cooking lessons, she was informed that Abdulsalam had come.

" Tell him I'm coming"

Abdulsalam sat in discomfort. He appeared to be restless as he tapped his right leg against the floor repeatedly. He bit the insides of his mouth a few times. Instead of going to his love, Khadija to comfort her for the hurtful words Yasmeen had told her, he had ended up coming to Yasmeen first, for which he convinced himself that it was just to warn her to keep distance from his girlfriend. Baby had said Khadija started it all and that she was the one that began to throw insults, but favoritism won over him and it was poor Yasmeen that would likely suffer the consequences. Deep down, beyond all the feeling of anger and rage, he felt responsible for what happened between the women.

" Good evening." Yasmeen said making him raise his head to look at her. As always, she dressed elegantly and wore a light veil which made everything underneath, visible. Abdulsalam was amused by how she always stooped to greet him. She smiled back at him and out of nowhere, he felt his anger subsiding. He took a deep breath in before trying to gather the words to begin with.

" How is everyone in the house?" He said in a ragged voice , clearing his throat immediately.

" Everyone is fine. I am fine." She smiled again. Abdulsalam waited for her to bring the call up but she didn't, instead, she served him tea telling him about the tea collection she had ordered. The tea tasted great. It was simple. The taste of mint engulfed his tongue, lingering even after he had swallowed.

"How is it?" Yasmeen asked, reading his expression. He only nodded indicating that it was good. He sipped to the last drop before setting the cup on the table.

" You spoke with Khadija." He began contemplating the next words he'd use. " Baby told me." Yasmeen in return only gave him a foolish smile, raising both eyebrows.

" And here I was thinking my fiance came to see me." She took a breath." Yes we spoke earlier. You weren't wrong about her, she's quite feisty."

" I want you to keep your distance from her. Just stay away from her. There's a lot she's going through with the wedding issue which is greatly affecting my relationship with her. I am marrying you and it should be enough."

Yasmeen pressed her lips together in a firm line before smacking them, making a sound which might have or have not made Abdulsalam move in his seat. She had a playful glint in her eyes which puzzled Abdulsalam.

" As much as I am not going to enjoy telling you this, it appears I have to."

" What do you mean?" Abdulsalam gained sudden interest in what she was about to say.

" Perhaps the person that told you what happened missed out on a few details. I am about to share them with you, but before that I would like to correct you on the statement you made about keeping my distance from your cousin. I was sitting in the comfort of my room, uh I mean lying down on my bed when I got a call from my friend, your sister with whom I thought I would be talking. Your cousin took the phone from her and said hello. You know here, it means your cousin went out of her way to reach me. Your cousin-"

"Stop. Stop calling her that. Her name is Kubra"

"Kubra." Yasmeen paused before continuing." Yes and she's your cousin. It's a better description than being called Meena when your name is Yasmeen." She rolled her eyes and took a deep breath.

"Okay enough. What are the details you were going to give me?"

" We have to agree that your girlfriend crossed her limits here and you have to promise me that it is never happening again." Yasmeen was serious.