CHAPTER 16

Abdulsalam threw his cap on the bed and slumped into it. He was left with no choice but to marry Yasmeen. He couldn't convince his father otherwise, not even when he dragged his mother into the matter. She had attempted to blackmail him into cancelling the arrangement with Yasmeen's by pleading that Khadija was her niece and that her sister would be heartbroken if Abdulsalam married someone else. Bashir had been indifferent. He stated that nothing would affect hers or their family's relationship with her sister because he was willing to go and seek Kubra's hand for his son as soon as he married Meena.

Mother had rejected his offer for the compromise, which sent them bickering and bringing to life arguments that had died down long ago. Abdulsalam regretted asking for his mother's help. She had turned the issue into a big fight. And even when he had said that he didn't have problem with marrying both the girls, she had sternly rejected. It was her fight now, she had said. Abdulsalam was put in a position worse than the one he used to be in.

However, the evening had gone well. Without his parents fighting or mother being rude to Meena. She definitely did wear a mask face throughout the meal, but it was a commendable gesture from her end. Abdulsalam had thought that the evening was going to be a disaster, but it didn't. The last thing he wanted was having Meena see his parents yell at each other, especially now that it was becoming their habit.

It was all Kubra's fault. If not for her constantly extending their engagement over the littlest things he did or did not do, they would have been married now. He would dare not say that to her. He would not tell her about Meena to start with. He'd rather silently destroy the union, then come back to marry the love of his life without anyone knowing or hurting.

He was immersing in more thoughts when his phone lighted up in the dark room, vibrating. He checked and it was a message from Meena that read;

" Our meeting is still on for Monday. Sleep tight XOXO"

He tossed the phone back into the soft blankets and closed his eyes.

___________________________________

A month later

" Come on Hauwa you can do better" Dr Abdulkarim looked at the only slot left.

" I'm trying. I cannot think of any word apart from the ones we've filled" Hauwa stated thinking hard what the last word that could be made out of RUBBED could be. Words was now their every-other-nightly routine. They would sit on the patio chairs and play the words game over green tea which helped them relax. All necessary preparations were made for the upcoming primary elections. They had finally gotten a little time for themselves. Unlike the previous weeks when, they left the house late and returned early. Hauwa was happy with what they had now. She appreciated the way Abdulkarim treated her. He would talk to her about his days in college and how passionate he was about teaching. He had told her about the reason he was running for governor. He was opening up to her and she would wish for nothing more because she loved him.

" Okay I am going to use my last hint. God help me. Bismillah" and she pushed hint which was previously labeled 1 and it now turned 0" a three letter word?" She frowned. She was confused even more which made Abdulkarim laugh.

" Give up ya Hajja. I am the winner, as always." He laughed at her expression. She looked like a child when she made that face. He was surprised she was bad at these little puzzles when she could easily unwind bigger problems.

She filled ERB and failed." What? Erb is not a word?"

Abdulkarim whom was eager to fill the slot as he knew the word to start with filled EBB and won." Yes!" He exclaimed at his victory and looked at his wife, laughingly. " 8 times in a row Hauwa!"