CHAPTER 23

This chapter is dedicated to @YamammaUmarMustapha

Abdulsalam enjoyed the sheepish look on Yasmeen's face. He was deliberately fixating on her, making it difficult for her to hold his gaze. He would smile at her when their eyes met, to which she only looked down in response. It was obvious that she wasn't entirely willing about the date. She had made it clear to him in the first place, euphemistically saying that it wasn't necessary. He thought what ever she felt about the date, compared the feeling he experienced through the weeks was bliss.

He contemplated what to begin a conversation with. Leeds. She lived most of her life there, he thought it was a fine way to begin.

" What was Leeds like?" At that, Yasmeen raised her eyes to his, her features relaxing." Tell me about it" Abdulsalam leaned forward, his elbows resting on the table. He noticed a brief unease with Yasmeen at the increased proximity.

" Leeds was ...home" She stated longingly. " There's a lot to tell about Leeds, and even more to see."

" Nilefa is your home now, do you feel the same about it?"

" At first  it was torture, with the scorching heat and plenty people to meet and greet, plenty food to eat. I thought I would not be able to survive the first week." She laughed and Abdulsalam laughed with her." But not any longer. Nilefa was always my home, the people here are my people. It is where I belong. Not England."

Abdulsalam admired it, the was she spoke about Nilefa. It was genuine. His sister always talked about living abroad, she had never visited another country. Yasmeen on the other hand lived her entire life abroad,she still called Nilefa home, how ironic.

" Have you ever considered coming back to Nilefa to stay?" Abdulsalam asked with interest.

" No, I have not thought about it. Not once."

The waiter returned with a large tray, upon which two plates of biscuits sat along with a fine tea pot and two cups. On one side, a fancy container cupped honey, while sticks of flimsy sachets of sugar lay next to it. The young man skillfully poured them cups, serving both their teas with sugar.

" Milk? "The waiter offered.

" No, Thank you. ."Yasmeen said. The waiter nodded smilingly before leaving.

" Why?"

" Why what? " Yasmeen sipped her tea.

" Why have you not thought about returning? Most of your relatives are here."

" No one would let me if I tried. There's this decree that I can't leave the city alone. I have not lived away from my mother a week..." Yasmeen laughed shaking her head. " What places have you been to?"

" I've been to Saudi, Dubai and Egypt. "

" Hmm... Arab countries."

" My mother has some medical business in Egypt, business...... business in Dubai and" that made Yasmeen laugh, Abdulsalam joining her." I have not been away from my mother a day, you see."

" I don't know how to react to that" Yasmeen resumed sipping her tea.

" I wouldn't too if I were you."

Another waiter, a young woman came up to them in fitting uniforms. She was curvy, her body had a mind of it's own to move smoothly in an enticing manner. Yasmeen didn't like her.

" Sir, Madam, your table is ready in the private cubicle. May I walk you there."

Yasmeen gathered a confused expression and turned to Abdulsalam raising her eyebrows in question. In return ,he just nodded and stood up.