Chapter Two: Betrayal

That night I could scarcely sleep and when sleep did come, it was fitful

That night I could scarcely sleep and when sleep did come, it was fitful. Just when I was about to finally calm myself down, there was a great strike of lightning, and in the illumination of the room I saw that there was a woman on my bed sitting between my legs. 

All thoughts of sleep immediately left me and I bolted upright. 

The woman was tall and slender, the entire length of her body like one long, continuous line. Her short hair was pale and brushed back, and her skin somehow even paler. 

Her gray eyes regarded me with excitement as I woke up, like one would a friend after a long absence. Her lips, lips that were so red, curved upward in a sly smile. A few drops of blood fell from them, and landed on her collarbone.

My blood.

I was dumbstruck.

"Vampire..." I whispered.

She brought a finger to my mouth. It was cold.

"Shhh." She whispered. Her eyes cut over to where Sister Patrice lay asleep, just feet away from me. 

I didn't know if this was a threat on my life or Sister Patrice's, or if it was just a playful tease. Either way, the fear of being caught in such a compromising situation immediately rendered me incapable of speech. 

"I was hoping you'd wake up." She said, "I'm afraid tonight is the last night you'll be seeing me."

She leaned forward and the billowy white shirt she wore slouched off of her shoulders enough to expose one of her breasts. I felt my heart thump loudly in my chest as heat began to rise across my skin, and I tried to look away out of embarrassment. Her satisfied smile grew at my flustered state. It was clearly the reaction she wanted from me.

She trailed one long, thin finger up my knee, and towards my thigh, pushing up the edge of my night shift to expose more of my skin. I shuttered and gasped at the touch, and the fire in my skin burned more. I still found myself without words. 

"I'm going to miss visiting you. You taste like longing." She slid her hand up a bit higher. "And maybe a bit of shame. Gives it a bite really, so it's not too saccharine."

I wanted to yell at her, to ask her what she wanted from me. But I had no words. I knew what she wanted. I knew she had been coming. I had taken no steps to ward her off, even after I had discovered the first bite. 

I had been enjoying myself. I had enjoyed the dizzying visions of Patrice that her presence had brought. I had looked forward to it every night.

I had sinned.

"I do wonder though..." she trailed off with a hum and abruptly stopped the trail up my skin. "What you would taste like tinged with ecstasy." 

I felt my lip tremble. 

"What do you say?"

"No." I said. My voice returned to me, and I scrambled my legs away from her. 

"No? Can you be convinced?" She leaned in further, and drew her face closer to mine. "No one has to know, after all."