Chapter Fourteen: Bets and Barters

Greta was insufferable the next morning, and all the journey to the city

Greta was insufferable the next morning, and all the journey to the city. It was no more than she usually was, but with the embarrassment of the night before still looming over my head, I found her usual antics even harder to deal with. 

We didn't travel long before we arrived, and Greta directed me to a rather nice inn where the others were apparently already staying. Greta knocked on the door angrily for quite a while, before shouting at Quen to let us in. Eventually, the boy did reluctantly open the door.

"You are okay?" I asked him. 

He nodded and gave me a small smile. 

"Yes."

"You didn't get hurt during the fight?"

He shook his head. 

"No, Greta kept me safe." He said. "I did stab a man— not very well though, I don't think." 

"I'm glad this is the thanks you've given me for that, by the way." Greta said.

"Ayla and Imanthi told me not to open the door." He said with a shrug. 

Greta rolled her eyes. 

"I didn't get stabbed protecting you just so you could talk back to me, boy." She snapped. 

He turned his attention away from her and back over to me. 

"Can we go out into the city?" He asked. 

"Did Imanthi tell you to stay here?" Greta asked. 

He glanced to the side. 

"She did— but there's a festival, and I've never been around so many people before—"

"We're smuggling you out of the country, Quen. This isn't for fun." 

"I could take him. I know the city well." I offered. 

"You don't need to be out there either. You have a whole army's worth of virginal zealots looking for you." She said. 

"You can't tell me what I can and can't do." I said. "Besides, my convent is all the way on the other side of the city." 

Her sense of responsibility seemed to be quickly overtaken by her desire to engage in pleasurable activities.

"Fine. But I'm coming with the two of you."