Chapter Thirty: In the Name of the Lord

"What are you doing?"

I was ready to bolt at the sight of him, but Greta's demeanor was much calmer. She casually pulled herself from on top of me and pulled her shirt closed.

"What are you doing here?" She shot back.

I stayed in the bed and pulled the covers further around myself. Though I was fully dressed, I felt so exposed that I might as well have been naked.

"I was checking on the nun because I noticed that her chaperon was unconscious on my deck this morning." He said, "I didn't want to see her getting into any trouble, but it seems like I'm already too late for that."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Greta scoffed. "I stayed behind to watch her last night. She's fine."

"You're halfway undressed."

"I always sleep like this." Greta said, "Besides, we're both women. It's not like it's something she hasn't seen before."

"You are a liar." he said, "You are going to come with me."

"I most certainly am not." She said.

"You will. I'm sure the captain will have no qualms about ridding our boat of you for what you've obviously done."

"Fuck you." Greta spat. "I'm not doing anything you tell me to. I don't have to listen to you anymore. You don't have any power over me anymore."

I wanted to stand up for her, but I was aware that I reacted too strongly that would only pin even more suspicion on us. We were supposed to be nearly strangers to each other, after all.

That's why it hurt so bad to keep myself from reacting when he grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her out of the door. She was still cursing and thrashing against him.

Regret.

That's what I felt as they disappeared down the hall. I didn't say anything. I didn't try to help her. I didn't defend her. I should have done something.

I had to do something.

I scrambled out of the bed, my hair loose and uncovered, something that would only bring even more doubt as to the nature of my virtue. Nuns weren't supposed to appear in public with uncovered hair.

I followed them to the deck of the ship where a large crowd had already gathered at the sound of Greta shouting and threatening to gut him if he didn't let her go.

Before I could get too close, a rough hand grabbed me by the shoulder and stopped me where I stood. I gasped and glanced up. It was Ayla. She looked disheveled and tired, but otherwise unfazed by the sudden commotion.

"Stay here." She said. It wasn't a request. 

Hugo threw Greta roughly down to the ground, at the front of the crowd. I flinched at the sight of her and twitched forward. In response, Ayla squeezed my shoulder tightly, a warning not to move.