Chapter Seventeen: The Convent

The next day I stood beside Imanthi, helping her sort medicine

The next day I stood beside Imanthi, helping her sort medicine. I separated them into piles, and she packed them neatly into small cases. 

"The purple and violet liquids look similar, but they are very different." She said, "Make sure they don't get mixed up."

"Of course." I said. 

It was fairly easy, but I liked to think I had a good eye for color. At the convent I had often been in charge of laundry, a task which required me to sort the uniforms by rank. The pale gray of the Daughters and the dark gray over the Mothers were similar, but it was important to be able to quickly and accurately tell the difference. 

Greta walked into the room, but thankfully I was not the object of her focus at the moment. 

"Ayla and Quen have everything packed." She said. "We're almost ready to go." 

"Good. We're just finishing up here." Imanthi said. 

"How was your meeting with Matthis?" Greta asked. 

Imanthi seemed annoyed that she had even asked such a thing. 

"Unproductive." 

"Emotionally, or regarding our trip?" Greta pressed. 

"Things will be more complicated than we initially anticipated." Imanthi said. 

Greta stopped and leaned on the table, a frown on her face and one hand resting on her hip. 

"Complicated? What do you mean by that?" 

"We will discuss it later as a group." Imanthi said, "Now please, go bother the other two while we finish up here." 

"Yes ma'am." Greta said.

 She gave me a playful glance as she left, but I did my best to ignore it. I instead turned my attention back to Imanthi. 

"Why are we delivering medicine to a convent?" I asked her. 

She smiled a bit as she carefully arranged the bottles into neat little rows within the case. She even twisted each one so that the twine knots on the front were all facing forward. It was a nice touch, I thought. 

"I think what you are actually asking me is; why are nuns from one of your goddess' convents working with vampires?" 

My eyes widened, and I felt mortified to be called out so openly. 

"I-I didn't mean it like that." I said. "It is just… odd." 

"I'm sure it is." She said, "But I'm sure you must be familiar enough with your own religion enough to know that having vampires as allies or even friends is not forbidden. The only sin is becoming one." 

"I am aware." I said. I cleared my throat and glanced away. "But I am also aware that it is not usually like that… in practice." 

It was true. There was no specific text, no tenant, that would require the hatred or distrust of all vampires. It was merely stated that only those who remained mortal could be with the goddess in death—but that did not stop such attitudes from being the norm.