Chapter Twenty-One: Jealousy

Time passes, even when we wish it would not

That's what the Mothers would always say when a member of the convent died. We are ever changing, just like the world. We cannot stay in the moment, as it is. Every moment, no matter how sweet, will one day pass.

Do not mourn time.

I supposed it was a good sentiment to have, as it meant painful moments would pass too, though I often thought they seemed to pass more slowly than the sweet ones. I tried to tell myself that as I pulled the covers around my shoulders, alone in a room at an inn on the edge of the Kingdom. It brought me no solace, though.

I hadn't slept well since the day I killed William. Sometimes I felt great guilt at what I'd done, and how I had hurt Patrice. Sometimes I felt an elated sense of justice. Either way, my thoughts were racing.

The night had long grown old and dark and cold, and I found myself restless and lost. I didn't even feel like praying.

Eventually, I pulled myself up and quietly left the room. I walked carefully down the hall, and to the next door down. I held my breath, and knocked slowly on the wood.

"Greta." I said.

There were some footsteps, and the door cracked open. Greta glanced at me, one pale eyebrow arched warily at me.

"Yes?" She said.

I glanced away.

"Can I come in?"

She opened the door the rest of the way and I stepped inside. It was thankfully very warm in the room and I nervously paced back and forth as she stood glaring at me with her arms crossed.

"I- I'm sorry if I woke you." I said.

"I wasn't asleep." She replied curtly.

"I-You said before that you would always be here if I needed you." I said. "Did you mean that?"

The hard look on her face faded just a little bit.

"Of course." She said, "Of course, Judith."

I nervously chewed on my thumb and nodded.

"Okay. Yes, okay."

"Are you feeling alright?"

"Yes, I, uh- I just think I need someone to talk to." I said.

"Someone to talk to?"

I nodded.

"Yes- the last time I felt so... so filled with dread, you made me feel better."

She raised her eyebrows.

"You mean when-"

"Yes." I cut her off.

"What will you give me for it, Judith?" She said. She bit her lip lightly, so that I could see the points of her teeth pressed against the soft pink skin. "After all, last time we were alone like this, you were the one receiving all of the comfort. What about me?"