Chapter Twenty-Four: The Uniform

The next day Greta hovered around me almost incessantly

The next day Greta hovered around me almost incessantly. I tried to ignore it, but it was hard when I felt like the others were starting to take notice of it.

While Imanthi and Ayla were out, I cornered her by the front door and pulled her forward by the collar of her shirt.

"Can you please stop following me around like a lost duckling?" I whispered.

Quen was at the table across the room, quietly eating a bowl of soup.

"What do you mean?" She said.

"You said you wouldn't tell anyone I slept with you, but you're making it obvious with your behavior." I said, though I felt like she should know exactly what I was talking about.

This, it seemed, only amused her.

"Are you sure you just don't want me to be mean to you again?" She said. "I don't mind—if that's what gets you excited about me."

I wanted to think of something witty to say back to her, but before my brain could conjur something up, the door opened and Imanthi walked inside with Ayla following behind.

"I hope the two of you have finished packing?" Imanthi said.

She gave us a wary glance that I tried to ignore.

Greta frowned and crossed her arms.

"Of course."

"Good to hear." Imanthi pushed past Greta and over to me.

She carried something in her arms, something that caught my attention. It was familiar. It was dark gray and made of wool. There was something crisp, white, and starched on top as well.

"Mathis found this for you to wear." She said, holding the bundle of cloth out to me. "I hope you don't mind?"

Yes. It wad a uniform, just like the one I had worn every winter my entire life. I took it from her and pressed it tight to my chest. It felt like home.

"No." I said. "No, not at all."

"I'm afraid I have bad news as well." She said.

"Bad news?" Ayla asked.

"I've heard that Vlansovia is going to invade. They're aiming for Spring."

"Invading? Invading where?" I asked though I already knew.

"Alexandria." Imanthi said.

Just hearing it was like hot knife through my chest.

"The capital city? Or the whole kingdom?" I pressed.

"I'm assuming they will start here with the capital city, but they will want to conquer the whole kingdom eventually. The few slaves they are having shipped back will never be enough to replenish their human population, and the king has always known that, I'm sure."