Chapter Five: Until the Thaw

On the third day no one came when I woke up

On the third day no one came when I woke up. I wondered if my captors had finally decided to give me the space I had asked for, or if they just didn't feel like bothering me today. 

Perhaps they had better things to do. 

I felt better this day, something I was thankful for. It was the first day I didn't feel like Death herself.

I decided to try and walk for the first time in three days, and after I swung my legs over the side of the bed, I found I could once again support my weight. It was painful, but I imagined that I could manage walking short distances at a careful pace. 

I walked as quietly and as carefully as I could to the door and found that it was unlocked. I opened it and walked into the hallway, shutting the door gently behind me. Immediately I was greeted with the smell of cooked food— of simmering meat and spices. There was some soft, quiet noise, but no voices. When I rounded a nearby corner, I entered into the common room of the house. 

It was small, but surprisingly warm and cozy, not at like the tall, cold ceilings of St. Meredith's. Herbs were hung to dry all across the ceiling, and bottles of carefully organized liquids and powders lined the shelves on the wall. 

In the center of the room there was the chimney where a fire was smoldering underneath a heavy iron cauldron. 

A woman was at the cauldron, her back turned to me. She had long, tightly curled hair, and dark brown skin that had the characteristic cool tone that I knew vampires to have. I could see the tips of her pointed ears just barely peeking out through the curls of her hair, a feature that told me she had been a vampire for a very long time.

She turned to face me just as my leg began to buckle. Her face filled with concern at the sight of me and she walked briskly over to help support me. 

"Please, take it easy. You don't want to hurt yourself."

I was speechless for a moment when I got a good look at her face and saw just how beautiful she was. She was so lovely it almost filled me with fear, despite her demure demeanor. 

"I— I'm fine." I huffed, grabbing the chair closest to me and pulling away from her. 

"Walking around is good, but you do not want to overdo it." She said. 

I sat in the chair and avoided making eye contact with her. She walked silently back over to the cauldron and started to fill a small wooden bowl up with the stew. 

"I hear you like my cooking." She said. When I did not respond, she continued talking. "It's nice to be appreciated. I don't get many chances to cook these days."

She sat the bowl down in front of me, and the stew smelled even better. I looked down at it, and then back up to her. 

"Are you a witch?" I asked her.