Chapter Thirty-Nine: Vengeance and Victory

A gasp

A gasp.

My gasp.

My lungs filled with a sudden and relieving rush of air. It was like I had been trapped in the water, under a sheet of ice, and was finally breaking free.

"Judith!"

That was Greta. Her fingers were still digging into my arms with frenzied desperation. My face was wet. I thought it might be from her tears. Her face above me was hazy, unfocused as my eyes adjusted to the light.

There was so much noise.

"Judith! Oh my god!" She sobbed. "Judith!"

There was so much noise. Banging. Screaming. I could barely register Greta sobbing over me, trying to pull me back down, back against her chest. I did my best to pull myself out of her cold, desperate grasp.

I had to get out.

The vampires were outside. They were trying to kill us, I remembered. I needed to kill them first.

Yes. The goddess whispered into my ear with a voice as sweet as honey. Kill them.

I had to kill them.

I had to kill the vampires.

The goddess commanded me to do so.

"Judith!" Greta sobbed again.

I finally got away from her. She was still weak from the poison. She struggled just to stand and stumble after me. It was too easy to get away from her.

On a table by the door, something caught my eye. It was the gleaming silver blade of a knife. I snatched it up and finished stumbling my way to the door. I continued, out into the hallway, and then out of the front door where I made my way out into the cold and into the snow.

It was chaos.

People were everywhere. Red stained the thick snow in patches all around. In some places bodies laid there motionless. There was fighting, screaming, choked sobs in the distance. All around me wolves wrestled vampires to the ground, biting desperately at their throats. No one even stopped to look at me. No one noticed me.

Out in the distance I saw Charmange, overseeing the chaos his men brought, a determined and confident glint in his eyes. I could see Ayla off to the side, just barely managing to keep three men at bay.

Get their attention. The goddess whispered to me. Make them notice you.

Yes, of course. I said back to her.

"Sinners!" I shouted. "The goddess commands of you, leave this place and turn from your wicked ways, or stay and face divine retribution!"

Few turned to face me, one of them being Charmange himself. No one even bothered to approach me at first. It seemed that they did not see me as a threat.