Bonus Chapter 2: Where the Path Begins to Twist (Greta's POV)

oops this is rlly long srry ya'll

oops this is rlly long srry ya'll. This my first time re writing a chapter from a different POV so hopefully it hits alright.

It was a quiet night in the bar when Judith came down the stairs of the tavern. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her catch sight of me, stiffen, and then quickly hurry to the bartender. I pretended not to notice her at first, though after she was focused on her drink, I decided to make my way over to her.  It might be fun.

“Where are you going?” One of the men beside me asked. I couldn’t remember his name.

“Just speaking to a friend.” I said offhandedly as I walked away. They might have protested somewhat. I wasn’t listening. I didn’t care.

I leaned over, resting my elbow on the counter beside her.

"Lost in thought?" I said.

I saw her body stiffen briefly at the sound of my voice, but she hardly glanced up from her drink to glare at me.

"I thought maybe you were too preoccupied to bother me." She said. I took note of the way she said 'preoccupied'.

"Yes, I'm going to have a good meal tonight." I gave her a smile, showing off my teeth.

I could see her gaze shift behind me, over to the men I had left behind for her, but her face stayed unreadable and sour. I hoped she was jealous, but it was hard to tell. She seemed to think for a moment before she finally spoke.

"Does that mean you'll be drinking their blood, or taking them to bed?"

"Oh hopefully both." I said, "And preferably at the same time."

She made a vague noise of discontent and turned away, her brow furrowed. Finally— the sort of reaction I was hoping for.

"Jealous?" I pressed.

She glanced back up at me, obvious disgust on her face, her nose wrinkled just ever so, as if to make a point.

"No. I don't wish to sleep with any men, ever."

"I mean of them, not of me."

A pensive look passed over her face as she sipped her cider and glanced away from me.

"Greta, I envy you sometimes."

"Hm? Envy me?"

I leaned over closer to her. That was an intriguing response, definitely not what I had been expecting from her.

"I wish I could throw caution to the wind so casually." She said. There was something almost sad about her voice, and it made me feel a little bit bad for taking time out of my night to bother her. "Maybe my life would have turned out much different if I were stronger and more able to assert myself."