Chapter Twenty: Second Blood

I pulled my bow from my back and slipped an arrow between my fingers

I pulled my bow from my back and slipped an arrow between my fingers. I didn't know for sure what I was doing. All I knew was that I came into the woods with my bow to help hunt rabbits, but now I had a different type of blood on my mind.

I let the arrow trail on her for a few seconds, following her nervous pacing. I wanted to hate her. I wanted it so bad.

But I knew I couldn't do it.

When I tried to picture her lifeless in the snow, all I could think of instead where the winters we had spent together. Praying, doing chores, playing in the snow at the start of the season. The taste of warm broth at night.

I whimpered and put my arrow down as the two of them moved on, down into the fir trees.

The sound of more voices caught my attention, and I moved further into the snowy brush to hide myself.

"No, it's her." I heard Greta say.

I peered out and could see her walking the path to the traps with Ayla at her side.

"How can you be sure?" Ayla said.

"Do you suddenly doubt my tracking abilities?" Greta said. "I recognize her scent from when I used to feed on Judith at the convent. Speaking of-"

She paused to inhale.

"She's nearby as well."

"Then we better take care of the situation before she gets involved. This will be upsetting to her."

Greta leaned in and whispered something to Ayla, who gave a nod. They started walking very casually again, in the direction Patrice and William had left.

"You don't have to act so excited at the scent of her." Ayla said.

"I can't help it. She smells good." Greta said. "She tastes good too."

They were being fairly loud, and it assumed it was an attempt to draw out William and Patrice.

"Her blood is pretty good." Ayla said in an offhanded sort of way.

Greta stopped where she was and her shoulders stiffened. Whatever sort of playful front she was putting up faltered.

"Wha- How do you know?" She asked. "You've had some of her blood? When?"

"Just a taste." Ayla said innocently. "I helped her clean up the gash on her forehead. Since you had gone on and on about how great her blood was, I thought maybe I should see for myself-"

"And she let you?"

Ayla swung an arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer.

"Come on, Greta. It was just a couple of licks."

Greta scowled.

"Ayla-"

"Perhaps I should ask for a few more?"