Chapter Ten: The Promise of the Sister

The fire in the barn hearth began to wane in warmth before long, and Ayla announced that she was going to search for more firewood before the storm settled in. I quickly rose from the staw where I laid and volunteered to go with her.

"You don't have to come with me." Ayla said. "It's already starting to get very cold."

"I don't mind helping." I said, "I want to be as useful as possible."

Her lips curled into a small smile.

"Okay then."

When she opened the barn door, I stepped out after her. The frigid air almost knocked the breath out of me, but I did my best to bare it as I shut the door behind us.

As we made out way out to the stretch of trees rhat lined the property, I shivered against the cold air.

Ayla shrugged out of the large fur coat she always wore and handed it over to me. Without it on her silhouette wasn't quite as large and she looked slightly less intimidating.

Only slightly.

I shook my head and glanced away, trying to fight the blush that was fighting its way onto my face.

"You don't need to do that. I'm okay."

"I insist." She said, "I know you're probably much colder than I am."

"I— thank you."

I relented and reached out to take it from her. Our hands brushed briefly, and I jerked away instinctively. Despite the fact I wanted to touch her hand, the reality of actually doing so seemed... scary.

Ayla either did not notice, or was too polite to react.

I wrapped myself in the coat, and it was remarkably warm. It smelled of her too. I wrapped it even closer around myself, and wondered if this was what it would be like to be wrapped in her arms...

I shook my head, as if that could clear out the thoughts.

I had often heard the Mothers derisively describe lust as a type of madness. I couldn't help but agree. It certainly felt like insanity and irrationality.

Maybe I should indulge in my feelings after all. After everything that had happened to me in the past week, I was probably going to end up mad anyway. The madness might as well be of an enjoyable sort.

I helped Alya gather the wood, but she insisted on splitting it by herself. I agreed, and went to sit nearby and watch her. It was the most content had been in months, really.

It was nice.

She brought the axe down and the wood split clean in half. I watched and enjoyed the way I could see the muscles flex in her bare arms. She acted as if it was a small task, nothing very taxing for her. There was beauty in the ease of it, I thought.

I bet she could put a grown man to the ground in mere seconds. It was a thought that excited me somehow, though I would never admit it to anyone out loud.

"Enjoying a show, are we?" Greta suddenly appeared behind me. She had a habit of doing such a thing. "I thought you had plans to keep your vows?"

I was immediately annoyed and angry that she had interrupted my time alone with Ayla. I hadn't even gotten to talk to her very much.

"Nothing to say?" She said at my silence.

My face burned hot with embarrassment, but I tried not to give into her obvious taunting. Had she really come all the way out here just to bother me?