Chapter Eleven: The Hunger

Pants, I quickly learned, are not actually as superior to skirts as many make them out to be

Pants, I quickly learned, are not actually as superior to skirts as many make them out to be. It had always been easy for me to hide things under the layers of my skirts back at the convent. 

Tie a pocket around your waist, get dressed, and no one would be able to tell at all what might be hiding under five or six layers of wool skirts. There could be a dagger concealed, or just an extra piece of cake from the dining hall and everyone would be none the wiser. 

It was much harder to do such a thing when the clothes you wore concealed less of your body.

For this reason, I found I was having a hard time hiding the bag of coins Ulala had given me from the others. 

I was lucky enough to be able to sneak it into my bag as we got ready to leave, but I wasn't sure how easily I would be able to hide it from them for the rest of the journey.  

The others asked me to go collect the boy from his mother, since they seemed to trust me more. I obliged, and walked through the fresh stack of snow to the shack and knocked on the door. 

It opened almost immediately, and Ulala stood there with an very uncomfortable looking Quen at her side. 

"I was seeing if you would be joining us, Quen?" I said. I tried to give him a comforting smile. 

"He is willing to go now, correct?" She said, nudging him in the side with her elbow. 

He rubbed the inside of his arm, and looked to the ground. Judging by his demeanor, I could only guess that she was very stern with him while they were shut in during the storm. 

"Yes, I will go with you." He said. 

"That's good to hear." I said, "Are you ready to leave?" 

"I—" He looked reluctant. "Yes, I think so." 

He went to step away, but Ulala grabbed him by the arm and pulled him back a step. 

"Wait—"

She pulled the large hunting knife that hung from her belt off of its loop. It had a pearlescent handle and a blade made from bone. There was something carved in the side of it, but I didn't know how to read their lettering so what it said was a mystery to me.

"Here." She said, pressing it into his palm. "This was my mother's before me. I am passing it on to you." 

His eyes widened and he held it very carefully. 

"This should go to Seyla, right?" He said, "She is the eldest daughter. I am just you son." 

She put her hand behind his and closed his fingers around it. 

"She has already made her way in life." She said, "You are the one who needs it now." 

"I—"

He choked off his words, and turned to squeeze her tightly. She looked taken off guard, but she placed her hand on his back in a reserved sort of way and patted him softly.