Chapter Eight: First Kill

Imanthi told me the journey to our first stop would be three days of travel

Imanthi told me the journey to our first stop would be three days of travel. We would be traveling at night, since that was when vampires were the strongest. When I asked her what the destination was, she said we were picking up someone to smuggle out of the Alexandrian Kingdom. 

She seemed reluctant to tell me at first, as if smuggling someone would make me change my mind about traveling with them. I figured I might as well consider myself as being smuggled as well. I'm sure the Mothers had sent someone to search for me as soon as they realized I was taken. 

With me still infected and on the run, I was sure there would be rumors that their House would lose the favor of the goddess. If they found me, there was no question that the consequences would be even worse for me than they had been before. 

There was a certain amount of guilt that I felt over it, but I tried not to dwell on it. 

After one night of travel, and one day of rest, we came to a pond. The water wasn't frozen, or even frosted. It was a bright green color, unlike anything I had ever seen before. 

"It's cursed." Greta said confidently. 

I looked to Imanthi for clarification, but she nodded in agreement. 

"What? I know things." Greta said defensively. 

"I always assume you are teasing me." I said. 

Greta rolled her eyes.

"If this is here, there may be undead animals nearby." Imanthi said. "We should keep our guard up." 

The others agreed, and we moved on with a measure of caution. 

For most of the trip, Greta hadn't bothered me too much. It was both a surprise and a relief, but it unfortunately didn't last too long. She came up beside me, and I knew she was about to pester me about something.

"So, what are you going to do with your life now that you've got freedom?" She asked me as we walked. 

"What do you mean by that?" I asked her. 

"You can do whatever you want now that you don't have to worry about keeping your vows." Greta said, "You have endless possibilities."

"Actually, I plan on keeping my vows." I said. 

Greta made an incredulous noise, but was cut off from any further comment by a sharp elbow to the ribs from Imanthi. 

Despite the fact that she had made no other disparaging comments, I decided to further elaborate. 

"I like to pride myself on my ability to keep my word. Not many people can do that." 

Greta snorted, but seemed reluctant to tease me further while Imanthi was watching. I turned my attention to Imanthi. 

"Who will we be smuggling?" I asked her. 

"I don't know." She said rather casually. "I haven't met them yet."