Chapter 2 ᯽ Brand New Faces

~Y/N's POV~

"Day one, Greenie. Rise and shine."

From above, a strange voice could be heard. I obviously didn't want to reveal where I was and blow my cover, so I just remained silent and out of sight. I had no idea who was trustworthy, and I wasn't going to put myself in danger unless it was absolutely necessary.

"Little guy looks terrified."

"He looks like a slopper to me."

"I could use some help in the kitchen."

'Slopper?' I thought to myself when I felt the elevator shake a little and heard movement heading in my direction. Since the brunette was already being seen by whoever the group of people in front of him was, I immediately dismissed it as not being him.

"What the klunk?!"

In the midst of my reaction, someone grabbed my arm from behind me and forced me to stand up before I heard gasps coming from above me. In spite of this, I didn't make eye contact with anyone besides the brunette, mentally cursing myself for not being more careful.

"A girl?"

"I call dibs!"

"Well, what are you all waiting for? Help them both out!"

We were both assisted out of the elevator shortly after that remark, forcing us to simultaneously take in our surroundings.

The place was...

Beautiful? Concerning?

The fact that there was a garden that appeared to be well-kept and what appeared to be some structures utilized for various jobs made it beautiful.

What worried me was that the entire area was surrounded by stone walls that rose about 100 storeys above the ground. It created discomfort, yet I imagine my face was painted with a look of wonder.

We were taking it all in at once, and there were boys of all ages looking right at us, assessing our appearance. As soon as I noticed how some of their faces were staring down at me like I was their prey, I felt immediately uneasy.

My eyes caught the glint of curiosity in the eyes of the boy from earlier, then I saw the same exact expression on his face. There was no doubt in my mind about what we would do. After just a few seconds, we were on the run.

"Hey, we got a runner!"

I heard laughing erupt from the group of boys without turning around to look back. The stone walls were just within my line of sight. My mind was urging me to stop and my heart was racing, but as my legs continued to move more quickly, they simply refused to give out.

But I heard a thump right next to me, plain as day. When I turned around to check on the boy after he had fallen and quickly stood back up. He suddenly stopped, and I did too, genuinely taking it all in for what it was. No one could help us, and there was no way out.

"Take it all in, Greenie. Looks like this is your stop!" I heard a couple boys shouting from behind us before being lifted off the ground.

"Get the hell off of me!" Right before I was tossed into what appeared to be a pit with the other boy, I fought against their hold.

"She speaks!"

"See you later, Greenie!"

The boy next to me gently touched my arm just as I was about to yell at one of them to let us out. When I looked at him, he shook his head and said, "It's no use."

"Wow, thanks for stating the obvious." In spite of the fact that it may have appeared uncomfortable, I sighed and sat against the rocks.

Before I felt him sit next to me there was a brief period of silence in the air, "You know, you didn't have to follow me. Wouldn't have ended up in this pit."