Chapter 10 ᯽ Midnight Conversations

~Y/N's POV~

In an effort to save Alby, we made the decision to climb down from the lookout tree and go tell the others what we intended to do.

We were wondering what to do in the Medhut once we had gathered Newt and the others. I was, to be very honest, in the middle. Alby may be killed by this substance instantly, and we had no idea what it was, but it was also worth a shot since it appeared that we had no other ways to assist him.

In addition to not trusting the girl, Newt also didn't trust the blue capsule-like object in front of us, "We don't even know what this stuff is, we don't know who sent it. Or why it came up here with you, for all we know, this thing could kill him."

Thomas swiftly stepped in and said, "He's already dying. Look at him, how could this possibly make it any worse?"

It was obvious that Newt was searching for my opinion as he turned to face me for it. I responded with a simple shrug, "It's worth a try."

Alby was squirming and panting as he shook against his restraints, lying directly in front of us. My heart broke when I saw him in pain, and it ached even more that there was nothing else we could do to comfort him.

Thomas received approval from Newt's nod, "All right. Do it."

Thomas gave a thank-you nod before taking the capsule with the blue gunk from Newt's grasp and turning to face Alby. I closely observed him as he knelt by Alby, getting ready both physically and mentally for this. As he was ready to inject it, Thomas sighed deeply before Alby seized hold of his arm and yelled directly in his face.

"You shouldn't be here!"

Everyone in the room panicked before acting quickly to try to free Thomas from Alby's hold and other people's attempts to restrain Alby. Thomas yelling, "Get the syringe!" caught my attention as I was struggling to regain sight of it.

When Teresa suddenly injected Alby in the chest with the syringe, he almost immediately lost consciousness. The adrenaline had everyone gasping and trying to catch their breath while I just looked right at Teresa and observed her.

Jeff spoke quickly in between breaths, "Well, that worked."

Before I could relax, I felt a hand on my shoulder. It was Newt, and he said, "Okay, from now on, someone stays here and watches him around the clock." He gazed at me for a brief moment as if asking me if I wanted to take the first shift. I was about to respond when I heard someone open the doorway to the Medhut and step inside.

When I heard Gally's obnoxious voice, I felt a little nervous, "Sundown, Greenie. Time to go."

I turned to face Newt, who gave me a gentle shoulder squeeze and said, "I'll see you later." Thomas's footsteps could be heard following me as I moved away from Newt and toward Gally after returning his smile. I didn't care enough to wait up for Thomas or even look at him because I was still angry with him.

It wasn't an awkward silence as we made our way to the pit; rather, the air seemed more tense than anything. Very much unwelcome, but as we spent more time with Gally, it only grew worse.

Thomas tensed up and tried to ease the tension, but I wasn't sure if it would only make matters worse or not, "Hey, what's your problem with us?"

We continued to walk as I merely listened and looked up at the stars since I didn't want to get involved in this conversation, even though it involved me.

Gally sighed and sounded clearly unhappy, "Everything started going wrong the minute you two showed up. First Ben, then Alby, and now that girl. Everybody saw she recognized you, and I'm betting you know who she is."