Chapter 13 ᯽ Trip Down Memory Lane

~Y/N's POV~

As I struggled to battle the sting, my eyes began to burn with tears, my body tensed, and I found myself drifting in and out of consciousness. My name was then faintly spoken as a pair of hands cupped my face, I relaxed a little as a sense of security suddenly washed over me, and I passed out instantly.

Everything appeared to be a haze, yet it also hit me all at once like a train of flashbacks. The so-called dreams I had previously finally had a continuation and connected them to the faces of people I knew, and I felt each one coming back to me one after the other.

...

~FIRST MEMORY~

...

In a room filled with computers and medical cabinets, Thomas and I were alone. There was only one entryway, a modest number of windows, and a small area that, if necessary, would be almost impossible to escape from. Thomas stood in front of one of the boarded-up windows and briefly opened the blinds to check that we weren't being followed or monitored by WICKED staff.

Thomas's body language suggested that he was anxious and frightened. He was dressed in a white coat that, to me, appeared to be a doctor's coat.

"Alright, we should be good for a few minutes," he said as he shut the blinds he had been peering through.

"I'm not going to bullshit you, so I'll just get to the point about why I needed to speak with you right away."

"Go on, what's wrong?" Thomas asked as he gestured for me to continue.

I tried to maintain my composure and not let the fear affect me as my palms began to sweat profusely and my throat started to sting, "As soon as they can, they want to throw Newt into the maze."

Thomas looked at my face with widening eyes, "What? He wasn't meant to enter for a few months."

Looking down, I shuddered, "I think they're onto us. They couldn't possibly have made this choice by accident. We should rescue those who are already trapped in the maze. We have to attempt to prevent things from getting worse, and we have to help Newt."

Shaking his head, Thomas said, "No, doing all of this is too risky if they are already onto us. If we do this, it could endanger both our safety and their odds of escaping."

"We've got to keep trying to help them!"

"You know it's only a matter of time before they figure out what we're up to, and then what? We won't be able to assist them anyway, Y/N."

My fury began to simmer, and I rolled my eyes, "Thomas, they'll die!"

Then there was a knock on the door as Thomas was ready to respond to my remark, we both froze as we exchanged looks.

"Shit, they've found us!" I whisper-yelled.

To avoid being discovered, Thomas and I rehearsed our prior plan to claim that we were catching up on some paperwork for the upcoming maze test subjects that would be sent up.

"Remember to act natural, and don't forget to join in with their little game—at least for the moment, to buy yourself some more time."

Thomas opened the door as the knocking became into banging, and we were then confronted by a few WICKED guards.

~SECOND MEMORY~

It appeared that Thomas and I had been assigned to cleaning duty as we stood in what appeared to be a cafeteria, but there weren't many people there. Thomas was moping around, visibly agitated and with a lot on his mind, as we were sweeping the floors and the lights were beginning to dim.