Chapter 12 ᯽ Brutal Attack

~Y/N's POV~

In order to find Newt and my friends, I had to survive and get to the gathering room. The roaring screeches were getting louder and more frequent, causing me to come to the realization that I would eventually have to face these dreadful creatures again just like before, it was either life or death.

When I saw Grievers attacking from all sides, I quickly abandoned my original plan to hurry towards the Medhut and aid Alby in getting out. Instead, I decided to hide in the nearby cornfields. In an effort to avoid being noticed by any of these terrifying monsters, I hurriedly bent down and held my breath as my legs sprinted as quickly as they could.

Although I wasn't really sure, I thought I saw Thomas and Teresa moving toward the cornfields as well. I just hoped they were okay. But when I heard Thomas yelling, "Run!" on the other side of the field and the metallic shifting noises of the Grievers, which I imagined were its footsteps chasing them, those expectations were ruined.

I maintained a tight grasp on the knife I was carrying as if my life depended on it. I went quickly and stealthily through the field, catching glimpses of Griever tails grabbing other Gladers by the legs and swinging them to their deaths. However, I couldn't let that bother me since I knew that if I even let out a small scream of fright, I would wind up dropping dead.

My body began to warm as the adrenaline surged through my veins, and I noticed that my breathing became shaky as I tried to keep a close eye on my surroundings. I thought someone was hiding within the Box because I could hear it creak and overhear someone shout, "Gally, let me in, let me in!" before their calls for help could be heard. My heart was beating, so I took advantage of where I thought Gally and his buddies were hiding while the Griever nearby was distracted to run farther away and try to get closer to what I assumed would be a safer spot.

I felt a set of eyes on the back of my head as the corn swirled in my face and my hair blew in the wind, but I just knew it wasn't a Grievers, so I knelt down even lower in the grass and peered around.

Before I turned around to see who it was, I felt a wave of relief come over me as I suddenly heard someone whispering my name in an accent I was all too familiar with.

As we remained down, attempting to blend in with the tall grass, I heard Newt mutter to me, "I was looking for you, I thought I lost you when I couldn't find you," He seemed just as afraid as I was, but his eyes softened when he discovered it was really me and that I was okay.

I replied, "Like I said, can't get rid of me that quickly now can we?" as I turned to face him. I made an effort to lighten the mood in an effort to relax both of our anxiety, but when we heard metallic footsteps approaching, we immediately went silent and held our breath.

As we were staring at the terrifying creature, I recognized that it was sufficiently away from us so that we could try to move before it moved toward us. I caught Newt's eye and motioned for him to continue moving slowly and subtly, but to be careful to keep down and make light maneuvers so we wouldn't attract attention to ourselves. He nodded and I followed closely behind him, making sure I was always keeping an eye on the Griever in case we needed to stop.

I held the knife near to my chest while my heart was racing, ready to strike if necessary. The only thing on my mind right now is to get Newt and I to the gathering room alive. We need to regroup with the others, so the larger our group, the more chance we will have of successfully taking down a Griever.

I turned to face Newt after hearing a slight snap; he had accidentally walked on some broken branches, and his eyes were big as he looked in our direction. The Griever was now staring in our way; it hadn't seen us, but it had most definitely heard us, as I turned to face it. And a few seconds later, more Gladers who were being attacked screamed. I hurriedly grabbed Newt's hand and ran as far away from that place as I could, hoping that the Griever would be distracted by the other people shouting so that we would have time to get away from the noise we were making.