Chapter 3 ᯽ Memories

~Y/N's POV~

"Yeah, maybe going in there isn't the brightest idea." Lacking the desire to talk to anyone, I gave the boy a quick shoulder pat before making my way to the hammocks.

To be honest, I didn't really have my own hammock—at least not yet. The boy was given a tour of the area and told that he would have a place to sleep close to Chuck, but nobody, not even Alby, mentioned anything about my sleeping arrangements. Which I didn't mind, but since I figured Chuck wouldn't care either, I was stuck hanging out near his hammock.

As I felt the cool breeze against my Y/S/C skin, I sighed and moved the few strands of Y/H/C hair that were blocking my vision.

"Hey, is everything alright?" Since I didn't anticipate being followed, much less having anyone's company, the voice with the recognizable British accent that came from behind me honestly caught me off guard and made me jump a little.

When I turned to face him, I noticed that he was carrying a soft smile that made me feel significantly more at comfort.

"Yeah, I'm good. Thanks for asking." I grinned back, although I didn't really know why he had come to check on me in the first place.

"Sorry, I didn't want to startle you or anything. I became a little concerned when I noticed you and Greenie back there approaching the maze."

'That's why, then, huh? I suppose now I can finally get some real answers to my questions.'

"What's out there?" I asked, intrigued.

He sighed, "Those sounds you heard earlier coming from outside those walls? That, my friend, is called a Griever, they run around the maze. But don't worry, nothing goes through those walls."

As I took it all in, I nodded.

"My name's Newt, which I suppose you already knew that from earlier, but this is most likely a much better way to introduce myself."

I smiled, "It's nice to meet you, and thanks."

"For what?"

"Despite treating me like I was from another planet, everyone looks at me like their next meal."

Nodding, he understood, "You won't need to worry, love. Nothing will happen to you, and because Alby and I talked it over we agreed that your sleeping quarters would be at the Homestead. Because you are the only girl, we thought it would be best for you to sleep somewhere else with more privacy. It'll be much safer and more comfortable for you, plus no one will try and pull anything on you there."

I was a bit thrown off, 'Love?'

"You still there?" He noticed that I had lost focus and chuckled a little.

I quickly returned to reality and dismissed my thoughts, "Huh? Oh yeah, thanks. But I'm fine with sleeping somewhere here, I don't want to cause any trouble."

"Really, there's no problem, I promise," He said.

I chose to merely nod in agreement because I trusted his judgment.

"Come on, we were planning something special for you and the new Greenie tonight. You can't miss it." He extended his hand for me to take so he could lead me to where he was talking to. After some hesitation, I chose to take his hand and follow him.

A fire was being lit, and others were eating and laughing nearby. Everyone merely appeared to be having a great time.

"What's all this for?" I asked Newt, scoping out the area for a certain boy.

"Every time a new Greenie appears, we follow this tradition to essentially boost their sense of belonging in the Glade. You're one of us now." With genuine joy in his voice, he turned to face me.