Chapter 9 ᯽ An Unexpected Visit

~Y/N's POV~

Before getting up and deciding to go outside to check what Thomas and Minho found, Newt and I exchanged looks. I attempted to mentally get ready for what lay ahead.

A gathering was held once more at the Homestead because Newt felt it was only proper that everyone heard about the most recent discovery from the maze and a new sense of hope for leaving this place.

And when I say everyone, I don't mean every Glader, I mean specific individuals. At all costs, it's best to prevent mayhem from erupting since if every Glader showed up at the meeting, it would send everyone into a panic—or worse—if this hope suddenly turned into something quite the contrary.

I personally didn't want Chuck to hear anything that would frighten or panic him, so when Newt and I got there, we made sure he didn't follow us.

I saw Thomas look and smile at me as I approached him and Minho. I tried to welcome Minho back by hitting his arm slightly, "I see you both came back in one piece."

"Well, we did, but the Griever definitely didn't." Minho shrugged off the fact that I hit him, but I knew he was contemplating his payback later. He was staring at Thomas and gesturing to him with a look I couldn't quite put my finger on.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I asked them both as I stared at them in confusion.

"We found this," Thomas said, handing me what appeared to be a device with the number 7 prominently displayed in the center.

I glanced at it, feeling quite strange having it in my hands for some reason. Before I handed it to him, Newt was watching it from beside me. He then briefly looked away from the device to me and shared a worrisome expression.

It was difficult to tell what Minho was thinking or if he was okay from the sound of his voice when he next spoke, which made me somewhat more concerned. "It was inside a Griever."

When something briefly sparked in my thoughts, connecting the dots to something, "Aren't these the same letters on those containers that come up from the Box?" I continued to study the small device in Newt's palm, it read off WICKED as I pointed at it.

Minho nodded, "Yeah. Whoever put us here obviously made the Grievers."

As he talked, Thomas moved a little closer and took a look at Newt and the other people in the room, "This is the first real clue, the first anything, you've found in over 3 years. Right, Minho?"

"Right."

Thomas went on, "Newt, we gotta go back out there. Who knows where this might lead us." He gave me a quick glance, and I could see right away that he wanted me to return to the maze this time rather than staying behind.

Gally laughed and looked around the room with a furious smile on his face, which, to be perfectly honest, only immediately irritated me, "You see what he's trying to do, right? First he breaks our rules, and then he tries to convince us to abandon them totally. Furthermore, his accomplice over here will simply follow him no matter what. In fact, she makes things ten times worse." He referred to Thomas and I as he walked forward, evidently annoyed that we were only causing difficulty in his eyes, "The rules are the only thing that has ever held us together. Why now are we questioning that? If Alby was here, you know he'd agree with me. These two shanks need to be punished."

The room fell silent as my body tensed. I wanted Gally to stop talking and realize that we were all on the same team, but I was also simply too overwhelmed with how things were at the moment.

Inhaling deeply, Newt handed Thomas the device back. Just before he spoke, he gave me a little, quick grin of assurance because he must have noticed that I was feeling a little overwhelmed, "You're right. Thomas and Y/N broke the rules. One night in the pit, and no food."