Chapter 4 ᯽ Surprise Attacks

~Y/N's POV~

I quickly felt myself go off into a nice, deep sleep.

Small voices and footsteps roused me from sleep, but the crunching and shuffling of leaves near my ears truly woke me.

"What in the world?" I said while shielding my eyes from the glaring sun and the heat that was coming at me like a ton of bricks.

"Morning, sleeping beauty. How'd you sleep last night with your knight in shining armor by your side?" asked Thomas, who was standing over me and smirking.

I caught a glimpse of Newt shaking his head, but I couldn't tell if he found the remark amusing or irritating.

"And how did you manage to sleep with my foot up your ass? Oh, let me make a guess. I still need to take care of things for you." I threatened him in a fun manner, and he eventually surrendered by defensively throwing his hands in the air.

"Truce?" he asked as he extended his hand for me to accept and helped me out of my sleeping bag.

"Yeah alright, you big baby." I said with a chuckle.

"How'd you know we were here anyways?" I cleaned myself off and stretched a little. I wasn't gonna lie, it was much cozier to sleep in the grass than it appeared to be.

"When the sun began to rise, Alby woke me and brought me here to write my name." I noticed that he had written his name close to mine when he pointed to the wall, which caused me to smile a little.

"We decided to leave you two alone after noticing that you were both sound asleep. Nevertheless, I returned to wake you up."

"You alright there, Newt?" I asked after realizing that Newt had been silent the entire time.

"Huh? Yeah, I simply didn't want to interrupt is all." He said that although I could tell he wasn't being truthful, I chose to ignore it and follow up with him sometime later.

"We should probably get going, don't want to fall back on any work." Thomas and I both looked at each other puzzled as he went past us before we shrugged and followed Newt.

"How about we get some food first? I don't want to make my first appointment with the Medjacks by passing out from starvation." I joked.

Thomas agreed, "Breakfast sounds good to me."

In a brief glance back at us, Newt said, "Looks like we'll stop by the kitchen to meet with Frypan, our lovely cook."

I groaned, rolling my eyes. "Another stupid boy."

As he hit me playfully with his shoulder, Thomas said, "Don't disrespect the cook. At least we can get some food in our stomachs. After all, you haven't even met the guy yet."

"Gally was a jerk to me even before I had fully met him."

In addition, Newt remarked, "You also thought that Minho would've been rude, but clearly you two get along strangely well."

"I guess you're right." I sighed.

While we were on our way to the kitchen, I told myself, 'Don't judge a book by its cover.' Regardless of whether they seemed like good people, I would trust my gut if I truly wanted to grasp someone's intentions.

The tables were crowded with boys talking and eating. My eye briefly caught Minho, and I decided to go speak with him after I got my food.

"Morning Frypan, what's on the menu today?" Newt smiled.

"You can thank the Slicers for the freshly prepared bacon and scrambled eggs." The boy, who I took to be Frypan, added as he grinned at Newt.

Frypan began to speak as Newt handed Thomas and I our plates, "Surely you two are the newest Greenies, I hope you enjoy the meal!"