Chapter 5 ᯽ Into the Maze

~Y/N's POV~

I decided to settle into the new space in the meantime and be ready for what would lay ahead.

After what seemed like hours, I was informed that I needed to go to one of the maze's entrances because Ben was about to be expelled from the Glade. While he did attack Thomas, ultimately the Griever sting was what motivated him to do it, thus I felt really horrible for him. Even if I were to stand up for him, he still violated one of the rules, which was to never hurt another Glader.

Once I arrived, there was a circle of boys all around Ben with long sticks just in case he attempted to escape farther into the Glade instead of out into the Maze. His eyes were filled with sadness, and the boys around him clearly felt sorry for him based on their body language, so I knew he regretted what he had done.

You could see the boys approaching him with their rather pointed sticks in an instant, pushing him deeper into the maze. The walls were beginning to shut as the sounds of greasing gears and Griever screeches could be heard.

As the poor boy screamed and pleaded for everyone to stop and let him explain himself, he begged them to give him another chance.

"Just listen to me! Just, please, listen to me!"

"Please, don't!"

To ensure Ben is locked out by the doors closing, Alby instructed the boys to step further with the poles, pushing Ben closer to the maze and off the Glade, "Move in!"

"I can get better! Please!"

He sobbed till the doors shut behind him and everyone became silent, still hearing his terrible cries echo through their ears repeatedly thanks to his desperate pleading.

Any food I had eaten earlier felt like it was about to come straight out, so I went off in the hopes that no one would notice as I felt my heart shrink and sink to my stomach. Since it was already getting darker and everyone was still absorbing what had occurred, it was safe to assume that no one saw.

Or so I thought.

"Y/N!" Behind me, I could clearly hear Newt speaking with his clear British accent.

I knelt down and felt my stomach completely empty itself. Newt instantly leaned down next to me and held my Y/H/C hair strands away from my face to prevent me from drenching them in vomit.

"Thanks." I muttered before wiping my face.

I interrupted him and said, "Do you think he might make it?" as he was about to ask me if I was okay.

"No one ever survives a night in the maze." He sighed and shook his head in my direct line of sight.

"Now come on, maybe it's time for you to get some sleep," He said as he wrapped his arm around me and helped me stand.

"Yeah, after that, I'm rather certain I won't be able to sleep at all." As we walked back to the Homestead, I tried to lighten the mood by making a joke.

When we got back to the Homestead, I was certain that I would not get any sleep. And if I did, what had occurred would undoubtedly repeat itself in a nightmare.

I genuinely believed that the events of tonight would make it difficult for everyone in Glade to go to sleep, so I made the decision to ask Newt, "Hey Newt, how about you spend the night here?" in the hopes that he would keep me company. After having to watch that, I added, I really didn't want to be by myself, and I'm sure he didn't either.

His expression softened, and you could see that he didn't even need to think about it before nodding and saying, "I'll simply lay a couple of blankets on the floor." With a small smile, I swiftly gave him a pillow and said, "Sleeping beauty must be comfortable with some pillows to go with the blankets."