Chapter 7 ᯽ You're a Runner

~Y/N's POV~

After that, conversations got more intense, and I just sighed to myself. We had been the first people to ever make it through the night in the maze, that much I was certain of.

Gally and a few other Gladers had decided to call a meeting later in the day to determine what Thomas and I's punishment would be for breaking the rules. Even though Thomas and I would argue otherwise, we were instructed to quiet up and leave our discussions for the meeting, which simply irritated me more.

Since we hadn't been given the clear to check on Alby yet, Newt, Thomas, Minho, and I returned to my room in the Homestead for a quick meeting of our own.

"Alby and Minho's sassy-ass self would have probably been gravely hurt or killed if Thomas and I hadn't intervened. Come on, it was just common sense that someone would make an effort to help!" I argued while furiously pacing around my room in an effort to vent my feelings.

"Love, calm down. We'll get this all sorted out in no time." I was still quite tense from having my adrenaline pumping all night long, despite Newt's best efforts to make me feel better and relax.

"Oh, so we're on a 'love' basis now, huh?" Minho tried to change the subject while jokingly teasing me in an effort to help calm me down, his face was painted with a wide grin.

"Minho, be quiet." The other two were either sitting on the floor or standing leaning against the door, I muttered as I rolled my eyes, sighed, and finally took a seat on the side of my bed next to Thomas.

Minho did the same as me and rolled his eyes, but he chose to keep quiet rather than utter a snide comment since he knew he would get smacked in the head if he did. Newt was also giving him a peculiar look, which I also noticed, but since I wasn't sure what it meant or why he was looking so serious, I simply ignored it.

"I hope Alby is ok," Looking at his feet, Thomas glumly said. Although it was out of his control, I could tell from his body language that he must have felt horrible for not being able to assist him more. Additionally, everyone was already tense. As the second in command, Newt made the decision to vote against the majority of the Gladers' proposal to throw us in the pit when we returned while they debated what to do with us. However, since Newt obviously didn't want that, whatever he says stands; otherwise, everyone who disagreed with him would only make the problems we already had worse.

I placed my hand on his shoulder and lightly squeezed it, "He's in good hands, after all, so don't worry; I'm sure he's alright. Really, it won't take him long to get up and start moving again." In an effort to reassure him, I said.

Although I could tell my comments had little effect on Thomas, I knew he was still appreciative of my effort as he turned to face me and smiled sweetly.

"How can you be so sure?" I heard a quiet British accent question suddenly across from us.

When I turned around, I noticed Newt's expression, which slightly broke my heart because it was obvious that what had happened to Alby was destroying him. "You know him far better than we do, Newt. He'll pull through, won't he? As you mentioned the other day, he was the first person to enter this horrible hell-hole by himself. He is capable of taking care of himself, is able to survive, and will do so."

He nodded while he sighed. After that, there was full silence, but it was a comfortable silence in which you felt secure. One where, in the presence of the people I cared about, I felt at home and wouldn't mind staying there indefinitely. The others departed one at a time to see how the other Gladers were doing, leaving only Newt and I in the room.

The position where Thomas had been sitting before he left after Minho departed was effectively taken over by Newt. He strolled over to where I was sitting and sat down next to me without saying anything or giving him any cue to do so instead of leaving the room like the others.  I grinned a little to myself before heaving a long sigh and letting myself fall back on my bed.