Chapter 16 ᯽ The End of WICKED

TRIGGER WARNING:

(This chapter briefly discusses violence; proceed only if you feel comfortable doing so)

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●

~Y/N's POV~

Thomas and I exchanged glances as we all gazed at each other. We slowly started to move down the lengthy corridor as we mentally prepared to confront whatever lay at the end of it. I didn't have a good feeling at all; this all looked too easy to be a success.

There were pipes blazing out with steam as our small group slowly proceeded.

We eventually came to a room with a door that had a green light directly next to it and an 'Exit' sign above it. We all exchanged skeptical glances until Frypan spoke for us all by asking, "Seriously?"

Thomas approached the door and cautiously reached his hand out to turn the knob. As soon as he did, the door released a corridor leading to what appeared to be a small laboratory and an alarm began to sound.

As we all carefully entered, we noticed the dead bodies of individuals who appeared to be doctors, as well as chambers with contained dead bodies over tables. Before Newt put his hands on his shoulders to keep him moving and looking away, Minho stood there in utter fear and contempt.

"What the hell happened here?" As I observed Minho remove a gun from a dead man's hands with his foot, I said.

As we continued to walk, I felt Newt lightly squeeze my hand. I also noticed that there was broken glass all over the place and windows with bullet holes in them.

I noticed some equipment, some computers, and projectors scattered everywhere as we continued to move across the area.

When we entered a room with more natural light, computers there contained images of our brains and footage of the Glade. Newt sighed as he stated, "So they were watching us, this whole time."

I let go of Newt's hand as he continued to study the computer screens, turning to follow Thomas as I saw him removing some of his Runner gear and focusing on what appeared to be a work station area. He and Teresa were giving each other a glance, and I didn't like that at all.

When I looked over at the desk Thomas was standing at and noticed a blinking red light, I brought my palm up to it and tapped it.

Then, immediately after, we all heard a voice say, "Hello," on a projector to the left. It was a woman with blonde hair and a white suit who appeared like a doctor. She had an uncanny familiarity about her that I couldn't explain.

We stopped exploring and all turned to face the projector, which now had our complete attention as we all drew nearer, "My name is Doctor Ava Paige. I'm the director of operations of the World Catastrophe Killzone Department. If you're watching this, that means you have successfully completed the Maze Trials. I wish I could be there in person to congratulate you, but circumstances seem to have prevented it." She continued speaking calmly while indicating that there was a faint siren heard and folks in the background appeared to be in a panic.

"I'm sure by now, you must all be very confused, angry, frightened. I can only assure you that everything that has happened to you, everything we've done to you, it was all done for a reason." She continued to speak as individuals in the background appeared to be evacuating.

Then the images that would help put what she was saying in context appeared on the screen, "You won't remember, but the sun has scorched our world. Billions of lives lost to fire, famine, and suffering on a global scale. The fallout was unimaginable. What came after was worse. We called it the Flare, a deadly virus that attacks the brain. It is violent, unpredictable, incurable, or so we thought."