Chapter 11 ᯽ Questionable Route

~Y/N's POV~

I sighed to myself as I once again found comfort. Thomas and I were covered by the blanket because I reasoned that if I was cold, Thomas must undoubtedly be as well. I smiled to myself as I stared at the flowers that Newt had given me, and then I slowly but surely drifted off to sleep, ready to take on whatever obstacles awaited me the following day.

I felt my consciousness change from what I thought to have been comfortable sleep to something much more profound, a trip down memory lane.

Out of all the memories I've briefly dreamed of, this one felt as though it would stand out considerably more than the others, with a sense of importance concealed in it. It felt significantly different this time, felt significantly more connected, and like it was a continuation.

...

"I understand that we have never agreed on anything, but this is Newt we're talking about. You and Thomas ought to be aware of the repercussions before making any stupid choices, don't you think?" I could only make out one familiar voice in the darkness, it was a sweet voice, full of malice and treachery. Although I felt as if I knew who the voice belonged to, I was unable to identify them. I could also hear the echoes of my own voice, and even though I couldn't make anything out, I simply had the overwhelming sensation that it was a conversation between myself and a girl.

...

However, the very same voice spoke once more, "We are taking these actions to save lives. You must consider more than just your family and yourself. Consider the lives we can impact and the planet we can rebuild. You of all people should be aware of the necessity of thinking things through before acting, Y/N." The voice began to fade at the conclusion of that phrase, and the more it grew inaudible, the more I could hear my own fiery voice screaming in response, but I was unable to understand a word beyond the obvious rage.

...

Before the other voice completely vanished, I briefly heard it say, "Without you, he will die. That is something we both understand, as does he." Then the spotlight turned to my own voice, which I heard loud and clear this time, "When WICKED ends, we will decide. All of its illusions would be quickly destroyed if Thomas and I weren't calling the shots. And without us, who were once seen to be the most trustworthy individuals in this place, everything would fall apart. Without us, this place would just be an overflowing sewage system. There is no hope as long as this place is up and running. Now, if you keep quiet, maybe, just maybe, after we rebuild it into something less corrupted, this place won't have to reek of bullshit. We just need to give ourselves a little more time; and if you love Thomas so much, then help us avoid getting caught."

...

I instantly snapped out of what I believe to have been a memory as I slowly woke up, groaning. I was awakened by both the sound of shuffling and the sensation of being shaken, "Thomas?"

When I opened my eyes, the brunette was standing there with a lovely smile on his face, saying, "Sorry, I thought it'd be best to wake you up before we'd get out of this thing to head right into the maze."

I shifted from a lying to a sitting position and nodded a little before realizing Thomas sounded like he had been up for some time, so I asked him, "Did you not get much sleep last night?"

"I did, although I was a little uneasy when I awoke from a dream and didn't feel like going back to sleep." He responded quietly, briefly turning his head away.

I decided to try and get an answer out of him after noticing his body language, "Let's strike a bargain here. You share your dream with me, and I'll share mine. Fair enough?"