Chapter 6 ᯽ Griever Chase

~Y/N's POV~

"Congratulations, you just killed yourself."

I looked up at Minho, ready to ask him what the hell he was talking about as I was panting heavily, feeling my sweat-soaked shirt stick to my Y/S/C skin, and only a few strands of my Y/H/C hair were in front of my face covering part of my vision from the abrupt bolt into the maze.

"Minho, may I propose that you stop talking for once." As I stood up, I remarked that I had nearly entirely composed myself and that I had checked on Thomas next to me to see if he was in a similar situation.

As Thomas walked up to Alby, his troubled expression was impossible to miss. I followed closely behind as he asked, "What happened to him?"

Of course, Minho immediately answered with his sarcastic and caustic remarks, "What does it look like? He got stung."

Alby appeared to have been hit very hard because he had some blood on his head, so I questioned, "And what happened to his head?"

Minho briefly turned his head away before saying, "I did what I had to do," with no trace of sorrow in his voice.

I couldn't really blame him; I figured he whacked Alby over the head to avoid the sting's after-effects and perhaps prevent Alby from yelling at him as Ben had yelled at Thomas.

All of a sudden, we heard the maze changing. We had to go quickly, and I really didn't want to run into a Griever anytime soon, but I also wanted to keep Alby safe, even if it meant putting my life in danger.

"We've got to go, the maze is already changing!" Minho said, obviously a little anxious and terrified because he knew nobody had ever survived outside in the maze before.

"Woah, buddy, slow down, we can't simply leave Alby here." I replied, pointing at his motionless body.

"Yeah, Y/N's right. We've gotta get him up." Thomas remarked as he moved toward one shoulder and Minho toward the other. I made the choice that I was going to lead the way and notify them whether it was safe to turn the corner or not. Due to the fact that I had never been out here before, I truly had no idea how I was going to accomplish it. However, for some strange reason, it appears to be both familiar and unfamiliar at the same time. But, I was too busy trying to stay alive that night with the boys to think about anything else.

We wandered for a few hours on foot, it was now fully dark, and the only light we had was from the stars above us, which guided us. We had all experienced periods of energy loss because I wanted to assist them in carrying Alby so that we could all have the same chance to regain our strength in case we needed it. This way, we wouldn't get strained from carrying an unconscious body for so long.

"Just sit him down." Before I turned around and confirmed my thoughts, I heard a body slump down behind me. I immediately assumed it was Alby's.

After a little while, as we were gathering our thoughts and catching our breath, the Grievers' loud, ear-piercing screeches could be heard throughout the entire maze. This caused my body to stiffen up, and I could tell that Minho began to panic almost instantly.

"This isn't going to work, we've gotta go!" He made a suggestion to abandon Alby, but Thomas and I were determined to keep him hidden without even talking about it.

"Wait what are you talking about? We've gotta hide him."

"Where?"

"I don't know. Are you saying there's not a single place we could take him?"

"Listen to me shuckface, all right. Take a look around. There's nowhere to go!" Although Minho still had the tough and brave act stretched across his face, it was clear from the tone of his voice that he had abandoned hope of any survival.