Chapter 8 ᯽ A New Arrival

~Y/N's POV~

We all quickly jumped up and raced outside to the Box to investigate what the hell was going on. I had a feeling that whatever it was, it wouldn't necessarily be a positive thing, and I wasn't eager to find out why.

My curiosity was driving me crazy, so I wanted to be first in line to find out what the special occasion was since, if I remembered correctly, the Box usually pops up once a month and it had only been a week or two. I was directly behind Gally and Newt's trail because they were the first to arrive.

Before I could poke my head over the side and see what Newt saw, one of the Gladers who was approaching just after me asked, "Newt, what do you see?" as Newt jumped into the now-open Box.

"It's a girl." He muttered, astonished that another girl was there in addition to the Box approaching earlier than anticipated.

He was correct; it was another girl when I turned to look. Although she was rather pale and had brown hair, her complexion appeared to be silky and flawless. She wasn't awake like when Thomas and I arrived, so she appeared to be dead.

"I think she's dead." He added.

"Before saying something like that, smart ass, you might want to check her pulse," I thought as I called down and carefully examined her features since something about her didn't itch me the right way, "Wait, she's got something in her hand!"

As soon as I finished, Newt raised her hand, revealing a small piece of paper, "She's the last one, ever. What the hell does that mean?" Newt peered up at the Gladers encircling the Box, then more specifically at me for any explanations, I only shrugged my shoulders in return.

Then, out of nowhere, the girl in the box gasped and sat up. You could see her stunning ocean blue eyes piercing into every Glader. She then looked around before stumbling out, "Thomas." and again passing out.

Every Glader turned to face Thomas immediately after that, and you could tell that some of them were accusing him of being responsible for everything, especially Gally, who had just asked, "Do you still think I'm overreacting?"

Thomas and I locked eyes, but before he could respond, he shook his head, indicating that he knew I was going to ask him whether he knew her in any way.

The Medjacks then jumped into the Box with Newt and rushed the girl away, doing what they could to help her. However, just before they left with her to return to the Medhut, they informed Thomas, Newt, Minho, and I that we had been given the go-ahead to visit Alby to check how he was doing because he was reportedly stable enough now.

The girl was still unconscious when we entered, but she appeared to be alive enough. We were unable to determine why, given that she appeared to be in quite good health and had not suffered any wounds. Alby was moving around and murmuring incoherently as he lay there, still unconscious. I caught a glimpse of him out of the corner of my eye. Since I couldn't bring myself to go check on him, I stayed with the group to watch the girl and Thomas closely since it seemed that she knew who he was.

"Jeff, what's going on? What's the matter with her? Why won't she wake up?" There was definitely a tinge of irritation in Newt's voice as he spoke.

"Hey man, I got my job the same way you did." Jeff spoke calmly, sounding a little worn out. I couldn't blame him; I can only think how much pressure it must have been on him to be one of the main healers in a Glade full of boys.

Thomas caught my attention for a split second, and I observed a glimmer of curiosity and perplexity in his eyes, yet you could tell he was focused. I assumed that he was attempting to identify the girl and determine whether or not he knew her in any way.