Entry 12

The next day, our school announces our exam results to their students

The homeroom teacher calls students in front to take their exam papers that have been graded. Feelings of tension and anxiety can be seen on some students' faces. Others didn't even care, as if they already knew the result.

Among my small group, where there're Yukimura, Kikuchi, Hakase, and me, only Hakase will take remedial classes this August. During his lunch break, I patted him on the shoulder who was limp in the face of the harsh reality.

"Hakase, how come it be!?" Kikuchi asked

"I-I don't know! I've prepared well for this day, but somehow I still failed."

"Could it be because you're too focused on your manga project?"

"No, it's not like that. I've managed my schedule well, there shouldn't be any mistakes.

"Well, it's not like this is the end of everything. Make sure you take classes in August and study better," I suggested.

We saw our comrade walking out of the classroom when called by the teacher. This isn't good, if problems with his test scores weigh on his mind, he will not be able to focus on the contest next moon.

"Strange," Yukimura

"What do you mean?"

"You see, the three of us from the same school. As I recall, Hakase is quite a smart kid. He tends to do well on exams."

I don't know about that. This is unexpected information.

"But I remember you mentioning that he got red on the math quiz earlier?"

"That's the same with me. I mean, a lot of students from our class end up getting red on their quiz right?"

Of the 30 students, almost all of them failed the quiz. Indeed, the problem is made more difficult, maybe the teacher intends to introduce students to high school material which is much more difficult than in middle school.

If you don't know the basic material for high school, you might fail the quiz.

"Or maybe..."

"What is it, Kikuchi?"

"Sotomura has a habit of forgetting to write his name when faced with something that excites him."

"Oh, I remember about that. My homeroom teacher once reprimanded Sotomura for forgetting to write his name on his sheet in middle school."

"I see."

"You remember how he bragged about classical literature and history?"

I understand where this is leading too. In short, he—

"He must have forgotten to write his name on the test sheet."

So, it is inevitable that his score will be zero.

An unintentional faux pas. But this error can be fatal. For example, suppose you are currently taking the Center Exam at the university you are going to, even though the examiner has submitted a serial number when you yourself forget to write your name on your exam paper, you will automatically be reported as not taking the exam. You will end up in failure.

I had no idea that Sotomura had this kind of defect, other than his habit of speaking in a strange dialect and accent.

"Hey, that boy has been visiting our class a lot lately, right?"

Kikuchi looked at the figure of a student chatting with Shiina.

"Who? Sotonaka-kun?" Yukimura replied.