Entry 18

Birds sing outside the window, as the summer morning sun shines through the glass, I rub my eyes and wake up from sleep.

Yawning and letting my mouth suck in more oxygen, I tidied up the controller connected to the game console on the table. A few small plates and glasses were there too, with one piece of cake that hadn't been eaten yet. I decided to clean my room.

I stayed up late yesterday and couldn't sleep well, thinking back to what happened last night.

-

"So how do you play it?"

"You just press the buttons on the controller you're holding."

"Of course, I know that, I mean the manual. What do you press when going backward or forwards?"

"You'll find out soon enough. Let's start with an easy game."

"What do you mean?"

"Every game has different controls and movement settings. It's just about instinct and habit. It's faster to understand if you practice it firsthand."

I chose to play an easier game, let's see, maybe a role-play or sports-type game?

The TV turned on and showed a loading screen, a sign that the console was processing the command to load the game being played.

"Use this and this."

I pointed at the part of the controller that could be moved freely by the thumbs.

"X button to go fast, and R2 to cast skills"

Simply put, this is a sports game with a "have fun" theme where players will find several spots on the track that give rewards. These can be coins that you use to buy cars, a NOS to increase the car's speed by one-third of a second, or other skills that can sabotage your opponents.

When the game started, Shiina seemed to have trouble adjusting to the movements in the game.

"Why is your body leaning to the side?"

Shiina leaned her body to the side when the car was on a corner.

"E-eh, it's..."

"All you move is the controller, use your thumb, your body doesn't need to move as well."

"I know, it's just that it's hard for me"

She repeatedly did the same thing.

"Give it to me."

I took the controller from her hand and practiced some simple movements.

"Can you follow it?"

"Unn!"

She nodded and tried once more. I took some distance and watched from the side.

How can I say it, apparently she took this game seriously. Her gaze was straight, and I could feel the deep focus of her eyes.

"You're still doing it."

"Urusai! I'm trying, you know!?"

"Ok."

I was told to be quiet, so I sat down and watched her progress. Overall, I think she has started to master the game. She's the type of person who learns quickly. However, unnecessary movements such as leaning her body while playing are still something she often does. I think she was doing it unconsciously.

I decided to go to the kitchen and make myself a drink. Opened the shelf above and looked at the contents.

Let's see, this summer I think a cold drink would be better.