Chapter Twelve: Carnival of Souls

CAFETERIA

Callie sat at the lunch table with the girls as she silently ate her food while listening to Imogen talk.

"You have to admit," Imogen said. "The fact that all of our mothers visited Ms. Waters at the Sanitarium confirms a lot of guilt from all of them."

"But if A is avenging Angela because she was raped, and that's why Angela killed herself." Faran said as Callie felts uncomfortable talking about this topic.

"Then why is A targeting us?" Noa asked. "Why isn't going after her rapist?"

"Why kill Karen?" Callie asked, changing the topic. "Don't forget that."

"Clearly we are missing something," Imogen said.

"Yeah like who the fuck A is," Noa exclaimed.

"What about Sheriff Beasley?" Callie questioned as the girl's look over to her. "He went to school with our moms."

"And Angela," Noa added.

"Would Sheriff Beasley kill his own daughter?" Imogen asked. "He loved Karen."

"True," Callie said.

"But he has demons," Noa said as the girls looked at her questionly.

"Demons like?" Minnie asked.

"Like I caught him," Noa started. "Getting a blowy from one of the boys I was going to community service with."

"Ew," Callie commented.

"Come again?" Faran asked.

"So let's definitely keep him as a suspect," Imogen said, weirded out. "Uh, what about your manager Tabby?"

"Wes?" Tabby asked. "A?"

"What about Angela's dad?" Minnie suggested. "We don't know anything about him. He could still be around."

"It's crazy how we know all this stuff and we can't tell anyone," Callie said.

"Unless we can," Imogen said.

"No," Callie said. "A's still keeping tabs on us and I for one don't want to be next on his hit list."

🅰️

SCHOOL BATHROOM

Callie and the girls met up in the bathrooms as Callie stood with her arms crossed.

"What if I accidentally sent A on Kelly?" Faran asked. "Maybe he thought she was Karen, like I did or maybe it's because Kelly's a bully just like the rest of us."

"God," Noa said. "Everyone else at this school gets to have fun and go to the carnival and here we are dealing with this shit."

"Actually," Faran said. "I'm going, Henry got us tickets."

"You are?" Minnie asked uncomfortably as Callie took notice.

"Fuck it," Noa said. "Me to then. Fuck A."

"Agreed," Faran said. "We gotta live."

"A is not going anywhere," Callie said. "That's for sure."

🅰️

COMPUTER SCIENCE CLASSROOM

Callie and Minnie sat in their computer science classroom alone as they held hands.

"How do you feel about roller coasters?" Callie asked Minnie. "After hearing Faran and Noa, I was thinking maybe we should go to the Carnival together."

"Sounds… amazing," Minnie said as she looked down at their joined hands. "But my moms would never let me go."

"What's bad about a carnival?" Callie asked as she noticed the serious look on Minnie. "Hey you okay?"