Chapter Seventeen:Dead and Buried

MILLWOOD LANES

Callie and Minnie sat at a table across from Minnie's father.

Callie took a sip of her soda.

"You know, I'm really glad we're doing this," Steve told them. "Aren't you, Mouse?"

"Yeah, definitely," Minnie said.

Callie glanced at her, smiling.

"And, Callie, you're a good girl," Steve told her. "I'm glad my little girl's dating someone like you."

Callie smiled at him. "Thank you, sir." Callie looked at Minnie. "Your daughter is amazing."

"I can't take the credit for that," Steve said. "Her moms are responsible. And I'm hoping to make up for lost time."

Minnie grabbed Callie's hand as they exchanged smiles while Steve's phone rang, picking it up.

"Uh, sorry, I should take this," Steven told them. "Why don't you two pick out your bowling balls?"

Steve stood from the table, walking away.

Callie's smile dropped, turning to Minnie. "Your dad seems okay."

"Okay?" Minnie asked. "Do you not like him?"

"It's not that," Callie said. "I just get a weird vibe from him, that's all. Especially when I first met him, he seemed odd."

Minnie looked at Callie nervously, debating if she should tell her the truth or not.

"Let's go put on our bowling shoes," Minnie told her. She stood, taking Callie's hand in hers, as she led the older girl down the stairs,grabbing the shoes beside her, putting them on. "Isn't this going great?"

Callie nods, noticing her girlfriend's sudden change. "Yeah, it's going good."

Minnie waved her hand at Steve, who went to collect his coat. "Are you going somewhere...Dad?"

Steve looked up. "Do not call me that."

Callie looked up at him, confused by his sudden change of behavior.

Minnie glanced at Callie as she walked towards Steve. "What's going on? What happened?"

"I have to leave right fucking now," Steve told her.

Callie walked closer to Minnie. "What the fuck just happened?"

Minnie looked at her, just as confused. "I don't know."

"Is he okay?" Callie asked. "Maybe you should call him."

"No, I think he needs his space," Minnie told her. "Do you want to leave? I mean we can go somewhere else."

"Is that what you want?" Callie asked. Minnie nods her head. "Alright, let's go. We'll drop off the shoes at the desk."

WEDNESDAY

MILLWOOD HIGH - BATHROOM

Callie stood with the girls in the bathroom as they waited for Noa to talk.

"Guys, my mom heard from the lab," Noa told them. "She got the DNA results. There's a match."

"Was it a football player?" Tabby asked.

"No," Noa said. "No, the match came from the blood on one of the cotton balls, not the locker room."

"Oh my god," Minnie said. "So, our process of elimination worked."

"And now we know it wasn't a jock," Callie said.

"But some other creep at school," Faran said.

Imogen took out some papers. "These are the names of all the boys who donated blood. There are 66 of them so of these 66...is the person who did this to me." Imogen looked at Tabby. "And maybe Tabby."

"So, what happens now?" Noa asked.

"I'll take the list," Tabby said. "My mom said she'd talk to the D.A., help us figure out the next steps."

"Well, we have to retest those 66 boys," Callie said.

"Sixty-five because it definitely wasn't Henry," Faran said.

"Or Shawn," Noa said.

"Or Chip," Imogen said.

🅰️

HONRADA PAWN

Callie had gone to see Minnie's mom as she was worried and Minnie wasn't answering her text.

Callie knock on the office door.

"Hi," Callie said. She saw both of Minnie's moms in the back.

"Callie, hi, what brings you by?" Shirley asked.

"I wouldn't have come if I didn't think this was serious," Callie told them. "But Mouse cut out of school early and she hasn't been answering my calls or texts. We had kind of a crazy night with her dad at the bowling alley."

"Mouse has been in touch with her father?" Elodie asked.

"Yeah, I've met Steve a couple of times now," Callie told them.

"That's not Mouse's father's name," Elodie said.

"I knew something was off about him," Callie stated. "Like, his vibe was bad."

Elodie went to get her phone.

Shirley looked at her. "Dee, what are you doing?"

"I can track Mouse's location," Elodie said. She looked up, getting a look from Shirley. "Yes, Shirley, I can track our daughter. And right now we should all be thankful for that."

"I know I am," Callie said. She walked closer to them as she looked at Elodie's phone. The phone dinged. "Is that it? Did you find it?"

🅰️

Callie arrives at Minnie's location with her mom's, pounding on the door.

The opened as it was Minnie.

"Oh! Minnie, thank god," Callie said. She quickly pulled Minnie in a hug. "You're okay."

"Mouse, honey, what are you doing here?" Shirley asked.

Callie walked inside the room.

"My motel room is literally down the hall," Elodie told her.

"And why are you dressed that way?" Shirley asked.

Callie turned her head to see Steve crying.

"Wait, I know him," Elodie said.

"Minnie, what's going on?" Callie asked.

"Um...my...friend...," Minnie said.

"Friend?" Callie repeated. She gave a disgusted look towards Steve's way. "I swear if he did something to you, I'll kick his ass."

Callie went towards him, but got pulled back by Minnie.

"No, no, no," Minnie said. "He didn't do anything, I promise." Callie looked unsure, but once seeing Minnie was telling the truth, she backed down. "Steve, got some bad news today about his daughter, Rachel."

"I don't understand," Elodie said.

"Neither do I," Callie said. "What were you two doing?"

"We were, um, playing pretend," Minnie told them. Looking at Callie emotionally. "Both of us." Callie's brows furrowed, confused. "But now... the game's over." Minnie went to hug her moms as Callie looked at Steve. "I'm so sorry."

Callie looked back at Minnie and her family. "I should go. My mom wants me home on time for dinner." Callie walked out the door, looking at Minnie. "Glad to see you're okay."

"Callie, wait-" Minnie said.

"I'll text you, okay?" Callie told her. She leaned as she pecked her cheek. "Bye."

 A/N: Two more chapters and then this book is officially done!! I already have book 2 ready for publishing when season 2 comes out.