Chapter 12 : Any Kind of Drama

Raul

"Sir?"

I look up from the sales report I'd been studying to see Olivia standing uncertainly in front of the partially-opened door of my office.

"Yes?" I say, trying not to sound as annoyed as I am about the interruption. I'd forgotten to take my meds this morning so I've been struggling to return to whatever task I was doing after having to switch my attention to something urgent.

"Dinner?" she says.

"Excuse me?"

"It's eight o'clock." She smiles brightly, still looking fresh and perky even after a long day. "I thought maybe you'd like some dinner."

"Jesus." I wince. Usually, I never skip meals but I've been popping trail mix since 3 pm so I didn't notice it was dinner time. Thankfully, I'd already texted Kate to tell her to eat without me. "I'm sorry, Olivia, I lost track of time. Yes, please, get me..." It's only then that I notice the white paper bag in her hand. "Is that for me?"

She makes her way to my desk. "Ms. Berano gave me guidelines regarding your meals. Will a steak sandwich and a salad be okay?"

I nod, and she sets the bag down on my desk. "You can go home now, I can get someone else to clear this after I'm done."

"It's all right," she says as she arranges the sandwich and salad in front of me. "I don't mind staying on a bit longer. Drink?"

"Just water, thank you. And get yourself some dinner as well." I turn my attention back to the report, wondering if I should just put this off until tomorrow or if I should just take it home with me.

"Sir?"

"Call me Raul, please," I say, not looking up.

"All right." She clears her throat. "I thought I'd let you know that Mr. Jones and Ms. Pak decided to fly to DC after lunch tomorrow ahead of us."

"What?" It takes me a second to remember I have a trip to the Capitol tomorrow. Shit. I think I assumed Kate would have moved it to a different date because of the wedding. But I should have known better; my wife is nothing if not practical. I do remember Kate saying my two VPs might try to meet with some of their contacts before our meeting with Congresswoman Knox to discuss setting up a new factory in Raleigh. "That's fine." I frown and look back up at her. "Kate did brief you on what you need to do during this trip, right?"

"She did, yes. I'm..." Olivia clasps her hands in front of her. "I'll make sure everything goes smoothly."

I could sense she was a bit nervous. While she has been on Kate's staff for a couple of years now, Olivia didn't have much time to prepare for this job. I give her a reassuring smile. "I'm sure you will."

"Thank you, Raul. That means so much to me."

There's a knock on the door and Marcus steps inside. "Sorry, am I interrupting?" he says, glancing at Olivia and then back at me.

"No, sir," Olivia says. She looks strangely flustered, as though she'd been caught doing something she shouldn't.

"That will be all, Olivia," I tell her.

She nods and leaves, shutting the door quietly behind her.

"I'll be flying to DC tomorrow," I say. "Have you had dinner?"

"Yes, I know. And no, I'll grab something on the way home." Marcus sits on a chair in front of my desk. "Why are you here?"

"I wanted to go through the last sales reports before I leave for the day—"