Chapter 38 : Fooled

Katelin

"Are you sure you're not pregnant?" Maricar says, frowning.

"I'm sure," I say. "I haven't even gotten off the pill yet."

My sister's eyebrows shot up. "Yet?"

Shit. I didn't mean to let anyone know about our pregnancy plans. I figured we didn't have to say anything until it happened. But then it wouldn't hurt for her to know. "Yeah, we decided we wanted to try for a baby."

She's quiet for a long moment. "Why?" There's no judgment in her tone, just curiosity. And maybe a hint of amusement.

Because I know exactly what she's thinking, I keep a straight face and try to sound casual. "He asked me if I wanted a baby and I realized I did."

"But... aren't you splitting up after five years?" Her eyes are wide, as though expecting me to drop a bombshell.

I know what she wants to hear. That Raul and I have fallen madly and irrevocably in love and can't live without each other.

If only it were that simple.

I averted my gaze, afraid to give away too much of what I felt. "We decided to, uh, stay together indefinitely."

To my surprise, she gets into the bed and lies beside me, her arm draped over my waist. "Has he told you he loved you?"

"Maricar... It's not like that."

"It could be. I think he loves you."

I squeeze her arm affectionately. "What's it like to still believe in fairy tale endings?"

"It's nice. You should try it sometime. Honestly, you're much too young to be this cynical."

"He cares about me, I think. But if he felt anything more, he'd probably already have said something."

"Just because something isn't said out loud, it doesn't mean it can't be true."

"Maybe."

"Honestly, I can't believe he hasn't figured it out yet. I thought he was a smart guy."

"Figured out what?"

"That he loves you."

I snort. "He does not."

Heavy footsteps sound outside the bedroom before the door flies open. A breathless Raul pauses at the doorway, his hand gripping the knob.

"Are you okay?" I say, sitting up. What's going on?

"You don't happen to be, uh..." he says, hesitating.

Oh, God. I fainted in his arms so of course he just assumed... "I'm not pregnant," I say firmly.

"Oh. Are you sure?"

I can't help smiling at the way he tries to appear casual about the whole thing. And failing — he still looks flustered. "I'm sure," I say.

"Right."

Is that disappointment I see in his eyes? My heart leaps into my throat. Swallowing, I say, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to alarm you."

"No, no." He clears his throat. "I just thought I'd check."

Maricar was quiet this whole time. I look down to see her trying to hold back a smile. I glare at her, but it only makes her squeeze her lips tighter to hold back laughter.

***

"More shopping?" I ask weakly, staring up at the building.

"Of course," Safia says, hooking her arm through mine. "We've barely made a dent in your husband's credit card."