Chapter 46 : Caged

Katelin

Raul left a card key for me with his driver, who met me in the lobby. I touched the card to the penthouse door and it unlocked with a soft click.

Whatever happened, it must have been bad enough that he brought Olivia here. No one knows about this building. Even I had no idea he owned it until after the wedding. I expect Marcus also knows, but I never asked. When Raul told me about it, I think I dismissed it as one of those paranoid quirks rich people have, but that was before Señor Saldana's murder and the subsequent events.

There's no one in sight when I step inside the apartment, so I head toward where I assume the bedrooms are located.

"No, don't go, please."

It's Olivia's voice from inside one of the rooms. The distress in her voice sends an icy chill into my chest. Oh, God, what if she wasn't safe in the hotel I moved her into? If anything awful happened to her, it would be my fault. Raul didn't say much when he called, all he said was we had to move Olivia somewhere safer and asked me to get her things from the hotel because there were few other people he could trust.

I hurry to the open door and nearly jump back on instinct. Olivia is sobbing on Raul's chest and his arms are around her in a comforting embrace. "Sorry," I blurt out.

When his gaze meets mine, I think I see a flash of guilt in his eyes.

What's going on?

"Kate," he says.

"Kate!" Olivia exclaims. She pulls out of Raul's arms and turns to face me. "You're ... here."

"Are you all right?" I ask her, then raise my eyebrows at him in question.

"Yes. Uh, I'll be okay."

"Someone broke into her apartment," he says.

"What?" I frown. "Wait, how did you find out?"

"I... uhm, I kind of dropped by to get a few things."

"Jesus, Olivia, why would you do that?" I raise both hands. "I'm sorry." I gentle my tone. "This isn't your fault. Did they hurt you?"

"They were gone by then. It was stupid, I know." She let out another sob. "But I had forgotten to pack a couple of personal items I couldn't do without."

"Hey," Raul says, putting an arm around her. "Don't blame yourself. And you could have told me— us about it, we could have sent someone to your place."

"I didn't want to put you out, you've already done so much for me." Her voice breaks as she stares up at him with tearful eyes. Then, as though just remembering I'm there, she turns to me and adds, "The both of you."

"Did you call the police?" I say.

She shakes her head. "I... I know I should have," she says. "But I was so scared. So I called Rau— Mr. Marin."

"It's all right," I say gently. "I'd be scared too. I'll call them."

"No," Raul says, his voice firm. "You're not talking to the police any more than you already have. I'll talk to them."

As though to signal he's brooking no argument from me on the matter, he strides past me and out the room, presumably to make the call to the police.

"Here, have a seat," I say, guiding her to a chaise lounge at the foot of the bed. When she's seated comfortably, I ask, "Do you know who could have broken into your apartment?"

She shakes her head. "A thief maybe?"

As much as I hate the idea, I wonder if it has anything to do with her finding Saldana's body in the ladies' room of the country club. But I don't want to freak her out more than she already is, so I don't say it out loud.