Chapter 47 : Accusations

Katelin

"How long has this affair been going on, querida? Was it when you stopped sleeping in my bed?"

I've seen Raul angry before, but never like this. He says the words in a low, almost quiet tone, yet there is no mistaking the simmering emotions underneath it.

How dare he?

He sends me on an errand, and I come here to find him with another woman in his arms. And he's accusing me of being with another man?

"It's none of your business," I say, keeping my tone cool.

I turn to leave, trying to duck under his arm, but he lowers it, blocking my escape.

"It's very much my business, Señora Marin."

I don't miss the mocking that laced the last two words. I turn to glare at him. "Not according to our contract, it's not." This time, I'm unable to keep the edge out of my voice.

"We both know that contract is non-binding. Not legally."

"So, what, are you going to try to shake the information out of me?"

I freeze when he suddenly takes my chin between his thumb and forefinger. Despite the hardness of his eyes, his touch is gentle.

"Do you actually think I would ever lay a hand on you like that, Kate?"

He's hurt by my insinuation, I can see that now. Tears prick my eyes, but I ignore them. "I don't know, Raul. I don't like being interrogated like a criminal."

"What do you want, Kate?"

"If you don't have any more errands for me to run, I'd like to go home now."

"Our home."

"Is there a different place I should be going home to?"

"No." His expression turns weary. "We'll talk about this later, Kate. I'll see you tonight."

I let my gaze flicker toward the bedrooms. "Are you sure about that?"

"Don't..." His jaw clenches again. "Not now, Kate. Tonight."

I nod. He doesn't stop me from leaving this time. A small, petty part of me urges me to leave the apartment card key on the center table of the foyer but the larger, more sensible part of me overrides that impulse. Olivia is still our responsibility and since only Raul and I know about this apartment, I need to be able to check on her if he can't.

As the elevator takes me down to the building lobby, guilt feels like a lead weight in my chest. What's wrong with me? Olivia's life may be in danger and here I was indulging in a petty squabble with my husband. We had a deal. If he chose to take a lover, it would be well within the parameters of our agreement.

Either way, it would never be Olivia. Even during his bachelorhood, he never dated an employee of the company. Furthermore, she was in a precarious, vulnerable situation and Raul would never take advantage of that.

***

Raul

Olivia walks into the living room just as I end the phone call. "Kate showed me where things are in the kitchen," she says. She's changed into a loose, cropped hoodie and leggings, with her long, auburn hair loose over her shoulders. She looks pale and tired, yet determined to put up a brave front. "Would you like some coffee?"

"Thank you, no," I say, putting down my phone. "I've asked your attorney to file the police report."

"Police report?" Her eyes grow wide.