Chapter 28 : Protecting Her

Happy Birthday titilolami! 🎉

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Katelin's POV

"It's about Yandra."

A feel a pit form in my stomach. "What about her?" I say, trying to keep my voice from trembling. Surely she can't be his mistress, could she?

Oh.

Suddenly the weird way Raul has been acting since she and Nico announced their engagement makes sense now.

"We had an affair four years ago."

I knew it.

Wait, what?

"Four years ago?" I frown in confusion.

Raul nods. "You didn't know?"

"I ... don't exactly keep track of your girlfriends."

He grins wryly. "Yeah, no, I don't think that was in your job description."

There's an uncomfortable stretch of silence so I say, "Why do you call it an affair? Was she married?"

"She was engaged. We kept it a secret. She broke up with her fiancé not long after." He looks at me. "I never told anyone, not even Marcus — at least until yesterday. I was ... ashamed of my behavior."

"Did you know him? Yandra's fiancé, I mean."

"We weren't friends, but we met a few times at social events." He takes a deep breath. "You're probably wondering why I'm telling you this."

"Kinda." I feel my gut twist in knots. Is he about to tell me they're having another affair? I remind myself that Raul and I had a deal. We're allowed to have lovers. I can't be jealous of Yandra or any other woman he sleeps with. I have no right to be.

"She... wanted us to get back together. I said I wasn't interested. That was two weeks ago."

"And now she's engaged to Nico." I shrug. "Maybe she only wanted a... uhm, a fling with you, just like before. Maybe she realized she really cares for Nico."

"No, she still wants an affair with me."

I frown. "Did she tell you that? When?" Nico and Yandra had only gotten engaged yesterday. He only found out about it today. That could only mean...

"I spoke to her today. In private. I asked her to break it off. I know she isn't serious about Nico and would only break his heart."

"What did she say?"

His nostrils flared in annoyance. "She ... hasn't decided yet. She wants to meet me tonight."

I blink. "Tonight."

He squeezes my knee. "We're just going to talk. I promise."

"Raul, there's no need to..." To what? Tell me if he's sleeping with another woman? Apologize for meeting with other women in private? I take a breath to steady myself. "You know you're under no obligation to be faithful to me."

He hesitated. "I know. But I don't want you to think I'm sneaking around behind your back to meet women."

"You'll introduce us first, of course." I force myself to smile.

"Of course. I'm not a barbarian." He grins. "I'll head out after dinner and sort it out as quickly as I can."

"All right."