Chapter 20 : Unspoken

Kate

The restaurant Raul picked for dinner was Roths House, a ridiculously posh restaurant in Four Points. In the half-hour since we arrived, I've seen two film stars, a Red Sox player, and three politicians.

"How's Nico?" I say, setting down my spoon. The French onion soup I'm enjoying can only be described as divine. It takes an effort to not moan with every spoonful.

Oddly enough, the mention of Nico makes Raul set his jaw. "Fine," he says. "He just wanted to talk about an investment he's considering."

"He and Yandra are dating, aren't they?"

"If they aren't, they could be soon." He clears his throat before adding, "I hope you don't mind if we don't have lunch at Tia Sylvia's tomorrow. I have to finish up some things at the office before Monday."

"That's fine. Although I will miss those pastelitos."

"I'll ask Tio Basil to save some for you." He looks thoughtful. "Got any plans for tomorrow afternoon?"

"I have a video call with my parents. My Mom is trying to convince me to let my Auntie Julie sing at the wedding."

"Can she sing?"

"Yeah." I sigh. "The problem is making her stop."

He nearly chokes on his soup.

"Are you okay?" I gasp in alarm.

Laughing, he waves off my concern. "I'm fine. Look, if you want your aunt to sing at the wedding, I'm okay with it."

"Really?" I smile. "I'll be sure my sister is on hand to move her off the stage when she's done."

"I'm sure Maricar is up to the task." He glances behind me briefly, and when he looks back at me, his expression is unreadable. "I didn't tell you earlier we were coming here, did I?"

I shake my head. He's always been better than me at picking restaurants. Everything I know about Boston's food culture and places I learned when I was working for him. Yesterday, he said he wanted to take me to a place that just opened up, but he never said which restaurant it was. "Is something wrong?"

"Everything is fine. How's your soup?"

"It's so good. I've never loved an onion so much."

He raises an eyebrow. "Should I be jealous?"

"Maybe."

I feel a prickling at the back of my neck. Before I could turn around, Raul gets to his feet. "Marcus," he says, extending a hand.

I turn to see Marcus with a tall, beautiful blonde beside him. My jaw drops when I recognize her.

He shakes Raul's hand, slapping him on the shoulder affectionately. "What a surprise," Marcus says. Turning to me, he says, "Hello, Kate."

Despite the shock, I can't help smiling at seeing him. "Hi, Marcus," I say. "Hello, Ms. ..." I stumble over my words. "Uh, Ms. Ramirez."

"You must call me Gigi, of course," she says, smiling. Raul's ex-fiancée looks even more dazzling than I remember. "Congratulations on your wedding. I must say, eloping like that... so romantic."

"Would you like to join us?" The words were out of my mouth before I could think better of them. Wincing inwardly, I add, "I'm sorry, you probably prefer to be alone."

"We would love to, but I don't think your husband would appreciate the intrusion." She hooks an arm around Marcus's. The gesture looks almost ... possessive. Are they dating?