Chapter 48 : Preparations

Raul

When Marcus enters my office, he takes one look at me and winces. "You look like shit," he says.

"Good morning to you, too," I say, rubbing my jaw. The stubble I'm still sporting because I didn't make time for a shave annoys me. I haven't gotten a shower yet, either, even if I'd gotten to the office early.

I have things to do and I need to do them now.

"What's going on?" Marcus sits down in front of my desk. He's impeccably dressed as usual, despite having come in more than an hour early, as I asked him to. His grey suit is immaculate, as is his blond hair, slightly damp from the shower.

"I think I found out something." I pace across the carpet in front of my desk. "I'll get confirmation later today, but I'd like to get started on a plan in case I'm right."

"Confirmation of what?"

"I'll tell you later. You'll need to cancel all your meetings this morning."

"All right. What are we doing?"

"You're going to speak to Kate. Privately. If it's in her office, have her security detail sweep the room for bugs first."

He cocks an eyebrow. "Me? Why not you?"

I clench my jaw in irritation. "I don't think she'll want to speak with me right now. She'll be more receptive to it coming from you."

"You had a fight?"

"Something like that."

"Last night?"

"Does it matter when it happened?"

He narrows his eyes. "You didn't go home last night, did you?" He gestures at my appearance. "Is this why you're wearing the same suit you wore yesterday?"

"I fell asleep."

"You fell asleep? Doing what?"

"It's not what you're thinking."

"I'm not thinking anything."

"Yes, you are."

"Well, you're not telling me anything."

"I'm telling you it's not what you're thinking. If it were, do you think I'd bother to hide it from you?" God knows I've told Marcus every sin and folly I'd ever committed since college. If I'd cheated on my wife, he'd be the first to know.

"Well, you didn't tell me about Yandra, so what am I supposed to think."

"That was her secret, not mine."

"All right. I'll concede that point. Now tell me what's really going on."

"I will." I sit down wearily on the sofa. "I need to meet with Nova first."

"I don't think a P.I. will help you out of your marital problems, Raul."

"I don't have marital problems, all right? We just had a little ... misunderstanding."

"Okay. And you want me to cancel all my meetings so I can smooth things over with your wife?"

"Of course not."

"Good, because I don't think that's in my job description."

"I want you to make sure she stays angry with me."

He stares at me. "I don't think that's in my job description either."

"I have a plan. Only I don't have time to explain everything right now, just what you need to know before you meet with Kate. But I need you to call her in five minutes and ask to meet with her right away."