Chapter 37 : Necessary Measures

Raul's POV

"I feel so stupid," Kate says, her voice muffled by the pillow she put on her face.

I pull a chair to the side of the bed and sit down. "Kate, baby, it wasn't your fault," I say, rubbing her arm. It was the first time she had to face the press and they took her by surprise. "Anyone would have ... been anxious in the same position."

"It was so embarrassing. I passed out."

"Ah, but you did it very prettily ." I grin. "You look very glamorous in the photos."

Her eyes are wide when I pull the pillow from her. "Photos? What photos?"

I kick myself mentally. Why did I mention the photos? She's already upset about the incident, she doesn't need something else to distress her even more.

"Of course there are photos," she says resignedly, a disgusted expression on her face.

"In which you look very beautiful," I remind her.

She narrows her eyes. "I bet you looked like the handsome hero in a telenovela in those photos."

"Well..." I give her my best sultry smile. "I didn't notice."

"Raul, they know."

"That you hate being in the public eye? Pffft." I wave my hand dismissively. "That's nothing. I've had photos of me in my boxers splashed all over the tabloids."

"Raul, they know this marriage is a farce."

I clench my teeth. "Did they say that?"

"They asked me how much you paid me to marry you. To fix your reputation."

"No, no, don't get up," I say, gently trying to keep her from sitting up. "Try not to think of that now. You need to rest."

It takes a good deal of self-control to seem calm and reassuring when underneath, I'm simmering with anger.

Kate relaxes a bit and lies back down, but her eyes look troubled. I am too.

Because those reporters' accusations were oddly specific. Almost as though someone tipped them off.

Someone from within the company. Or from my family.

There was a smart knock on our bedroom door. "Come in," I say.

Maricar slips inside the room quietly, a tray in her hands. "I heard you talking so I figured you were awake," she says. "Thought you might like some tea. I didn't know which one you'd like so I made one chamomile and one mint."

"Gracias, cuñada." I walk over to her and take the tray with a grateful smile.

"You didn't have to, Car," Kate says, sitting up.

"I know." She sits down on the bed beside her sister. "I'm glad you have most of the color back in your face."

"What?" Kate says, then turns to give me an exaggerated look of annoyance. "You said I looked pretty."

"You always look beautiful to me, querida," I say, handing her a cup of tea in a saucer. "Chamomile?"

"Thank you."

"I'll be downstairs, I need to talk to Marcus." I give Maricar a worried look.

"I'm a nurse," she reminds me. "I'll take care of her."

***

"You're right," Marcus says, looking grim. "That is very specific. Do you think it was Saldana?"

"Maybe," I say. "I don't see what his motive could be. He's selling his shares to Gigi, remember?"

"Will you sit down, please? You're giving me a headache."