Chapter 58 : Post Mortem

Kate

Watching Raul, I can imagine how much he's restraining himself from clenching his jaw or looking at me. He expected this question, which was probably why he didn't want me to be here now.

Strangely enough, I feel neither embarrassed nor worried. It's feels like nothing can touch the bubble of joy Raul and I have built around us, and we can face any challenge thrown our way.

"I trusted Ms. Barnes as an employee," Raul says. "We shall, of course, trust in the authorities and their investigation to determine who was responsible for Mr. Saldana's tragic passing. These rumors" — here he makes a pointed pause to look people in the eye —"are false. I have never had an affair with anyone, owing to my rather inconvenient failing of being desperately in love with my wife."

There is an uncomfortable silence in the room, broken after a moment by a chuckle. And another one. He glances at Gigi, who is rolling her eyes. That elicits more laughter from the audience. He gives her a glare of exasperation before clearing my throat.

I press my lips tightly to keep from laughing.

"Who will be stepping in as the next chief operations officer?" asks another reporter.

It's subtle, but I can see him visibly exhale in relief at the question.

"We've decided to hire someone outside the company," he says. "We'll bring them in to get a fresh perspective on the business. We'll announce it once negotiations have concluded and if they bear fruit."

The rest of the press conference goes as smoothly as we could have hoped, with Raul and, later, Gigi, Marcus and Tina, deftly steering the narrative away from Bianca's arrest and toward business matters. It's only after Gigi declares the press event over and thanks everyone for coming that I realize I'd been holding my breath for most of it. Walking away from the lectern, Raul takes my hand and whisks me directly toward the elevator.

"Are you all right?" he says, once the elevator doors close.

I glance down at our clasped hands. "A little embarrassed," I say.

"Sorry." I can hear the wince in his voice, then he sighs. "I was hoping to shield you from all this, that's why I—"

"Desperately in love with my wife," I say, repeating his words to him.

"Oh. That."

When we reach the basement parking garage, the car is waiting. Raul beats David to the door of the backseat and opens it for me.

"The more you exaggerate things, the less convincing you are, you know," I say, getting inside the car.

"I convinced you, didn't I?" He flashes me a smirk as he slides in beside me.

I lean against his arm, feeling comforted by the strength of his body. "You've just been to jail. I thought I'd humor you a bit."

"Really," he says, amusement in his tone. "Is that what you were doing earlier at my office?"

"Well, you seemed a little stressed."

"I'm still stressed, you know." He squeezes my knee. "The press conference was so harrowing."

I laugh. "You did well, though."

"You think so?"

"Fishing for compliments, are we?"

"That obvious?" He puts his arm around me and I lean against his chest.

"All right. I thought you did pretty well."