Chapter 49 : The Secrets We Keep

Raul

"Excuse me, Ms. Hernandez," Pamela says, looking embarrassed as she enters Bianca's office. "I know you didn't want to be disturbed, but Marcus says he needs to see you right away."

Bianca sighs and puts down her pen. She and I have been going over the company's major projects for the past hour. "Thank you, Pam," she says, getting up. "Raul, could you hold on a sec? I just need to take care of this."

"Take your time."

She punches a number on her office phone. "Marcus? Pam says you needed to see me." She pauses. "All right. You're sure it won't take long?" Another pause. "All right, I'll be there in a minute."

"It sounds urgent," I say.

"There's an issue with the last payments to one of our suppliers. He just needs me to confirm something. He says it won't take long."

"I can wait."

She hesitates. "You sure?"

"Of course."

"I'll be quick." She walks briskly across the room. As she's about to open the door, she pauses and turns toward me. "How's Olivia, by the way? I understand you had her go on leave."

"She should be fine." I smile. "A little shaken, but she's a trooper."

"Good, good. I feel terrible for what she must be going through."

"So am I."

***

Katelin

Wednesday

"I have exercise equipment at home, you know," I say, dropping my gym bag.

Marcus grins as he sets down a pair of dumbells back into the rack. I don't know why I'm surprised that his home gym was huge and outfitted with every exercise machine ever invented. Like the one we have set up at home. "Yeah, but what's the fun in doing it alone?" he says. Eyeing my outfit, he says, "I distinctly remember telling Giles to show you where to get changed."

I glance down at my baggy sweatpants and old college shirt. "I am changed."

"Sorry. I thought women only wore—" He shakes his head. "Never mind. We'll start you off with some stretches."

"Are you my trainer now?" I raise my eyebrow.

"I hope your regular trainer doesn't mind."

"I don't have one."

"No? Not even for yoga?"

"I have YouTube." Sighing, I follow him to the corner of the room. "I'm still not clear why we're doing this." He texted me after lunch and suggested we do gym at his place after work. I didn't think Marcus was the type of guy who needed a gym buddy, not even Raul.

"Exercise clears the brain. Makes you think more clearly."

I try not to stare at the way his ass strains against his gym shorts when he bends down to pick up a stray dumbbell. I look away, kicking myself mentally. You're a married woman, I remind myself. Sure, I'm not getting any, but that's only because I haven't yet decided to forgive my husband for being a manipulative jerk.

"Kate?"

"Huh?" I pretend to study a large piece of equipment with springs levers and bars — probably something for pilates. Or torture. Who knows.

"Come, I promise to be gentle."

I groan inwardly. Give me strength.

***