FILE LOST

The Engineer was no medic. He wasn't sure what exactly he had been originally. He had standard mechanic function and a lot of skill packs on top of them. But he knew for certain he wasn't programmed for medicine. At least, that's what Snobol said in respect to his bedside manner.

"Owww!" Grace hissed as he fixed a scored line on her modified arm.

"Sit still! You almost made me sever a line!" He snapped

"Sorry boss" She attempted to go motionless. Then flinched again when he touched the same line.

He really preferred working on vehicles.

He finished his work, watching Grace flex her repaired arm. She smiled radiantly, far too brightly in his opinion.

"Thanks boss! You're the best" He coughed and cleared his intakes, turning away swiftly.

"Yeah, don't mention it. Now get the rest of the Mods up and running. We're short hands"

Snobol hustled up to his work bench at the back of the shop. Her worried face making his core drop even lower. Not that his mood could possibly get much worse after the cycle he'd already had.

"Boss! You're not gonna believe it!" She squeaked.

He flicked his goggles off and gave her a flat look. "Honestly Snobol, bad news is about all Im getting today. Lay it on me"

"Theres bugs! Lots of em invading the Rust District! I got Tizzy and Nilo's gangs on the way there. But it looks like our hunting party isnt gonna have the whole crew"

The Mod Boss sighed heavily "Fighting the bugs takes priority. We're not mounting a hunt for the outsiders until that horde is stomped. Those outsiders were monsters, but even they cant do as much damage as a swarm of Grid bugs"

Grace scoffed "You say that now. But those jokers held their own against superior numbers and abilities. I don't trust em to run wild in our city any more than I trust the bugs"

The Engineer ignored the pink lined Mod and focused on Snobol "Call in Tia's gang and get them on those bugs. Ive just about got all the Mods here in fighting shape. I want you two to keep some Mods around to guard the shop"

Griss, newly patched up from his loss to the outsiders, lumbered up. His two friends at his shoulders.

"Boss! When are we gonna go after those outsiders?" He demanded.

The Engineer opened his mouth but Snobol beat him to the punch.

"The Boss wants all available gangs on the swarm of Grid bugs invading the Rust District. Get yourself mounted on a rig and link with Tia on your way" She ordered. Griss snarled, stepping up to her, chest to chest. Even though he was at least a head taller she didn't flinch back from him, her modded arms had ice forming between the fingers.

"Youre telling me we're gonna let outsiders invade our city? What's General Tesler gonna think huh?"

"Tesler aint our boss! The Boss is our boss" Snobol growled right back at him.

"Yeah well the Boss aint in charge of Purgos. We cross Tesler and we all end up cubed!" He raised his hand to push her. But Snobol caught his hand, a sheen of ice circled his wrist. He tried to wrench his arm back but Snobol held it. Death in her eyes. His two friends squared up on either side of him, their modded limbs burning bright with energy.

The Engineer had enough "SHUT UP! ALL OF YOU!" They all froze, wide eyes pointed to him. He strode up and yanked Griss's arm out of Snobol's hold, shattering the ice and scoring the arm. Griss yelped. He pointed a finger at Griss's chest.