BOOTUP

Able tinkered with the arrays on a third Gen light bike. Obsolete now, but it had been a marvel of engineering a few hundred cycles prior. The irony of that did not escape him.

"You could stick around you know. The transpo systems in Radium and Strontium need work" a friendly voice came tinny and garbled from behind him.

Able looked over to see Flynn, one shoulder propped against the door of the work shop.

The image flickered. Warped. Then settled.

Able huffed.

"It's not like I'm abandoning any work here. The logistics maintenance programs that just came out of Beta are more than capable of handling those cities"

"So, what? You're just gonna retire?"

Able leaned back, letting his burning white protective gear fizzle into nothing.

"The Grid doesn't need my functions anymore Flynn. It's just the way of things. I mean, look at Babbage! She ran out of meaningful work to do half a decacycle ago. No, it's time for us old programs to find other uses for ourselves"

Flynn's face got troubled "I never meant to replace any of you. It's just..... the system keeps getting more complex"

'But you did replace us' the petulant thought pressed to the front of Able's processes. He brushed it away.

"I've worked nonstop for a very long time Flynn. I'm old, and shocker of shockers. I'm tired. I just want to work on bikes. Fix them up. Maybe I'll make a little garage somewhere. Get some peace and quiet for once"

Flynn stared at him for a long few nanos. His easygoing expression melting into a thoughtful one.

"It sounds like you still want to work"

Able scoffed "I thought you understood Flynn. We programs don't live too well without a purpose. But the system progresses. Evolves. I certainly don't want things to stagnate. And well, if that means relics like me can't do the same job anymore, then I'll just have to find another one"

Flynn's signature smile came back.

"I got an idea! I'm working on a new Gen 4 bike. I have some mechanics in beta to specialize in the updated models. Why don't you train them for me? No one knows vehicles like you man!"

Able grunted but didn't get to answer properly.

"Flynn! There you are!" Another voice came tinny and faint from the hallway. A new figure entered, face scrunched in worry. Tron only took up half the doorway but he filled the rest of the room with his tense atmosphere.

"There's another outbreak in the ISO district. If you'd care to join me?" the security monitor hedged, clearly impatient for Flynn to get moving and fix the boiling problems on the Grid. Flynn, to his credit, looked back to Able, his concern still evident.

"We'll talk about this later OK? You and the rest of the System Architects, I don't want to leave you in the lurch" Flynn was already inching away, to the next fire he had to put out.

Able waved a hand "Get out of here Flynn. Go fix the system, I'll train your mechanics for you. Someone has to I suppose"

Flynn shot him one last grateful smile "You're the best man!"

The vision warped again. It sizzled at the edges.

SYSTEM STARTUP IN

3.2.1....

Able took in a long, hard gasp of air.

Able.

Was that his designation? It felt right.