19

What followed the next week was a wedding. A small one, with only the most necessary people present for a legal marriage. A handful of people. One thing that Keynna was extremely fond of. Aside from her father, being the center of attention was not something she liked or enjoyed avoiding.

The invitation to do so did not exist. Subsequently, in the days that followed, there was also no letter that there had been a marriage between Daemon and Keynna. No one needed to know. At first.

'No one marries for love'

Not in this society. Not if someone belonged to a prestigious or large family or an important house. It was tantamount to privilege to be able to do it after all. It was a privilege that members of a particular house did not possess, even if they, through power, money and position, possessed countless ones.

Was it love? A question where Keynna would not directly say, yes, because, how would she know if the young Targaryen, was love for her. There was something there. More than with other men, at least. Joy, when she saw. Without burden, when she spoke to him. A tingle when he touched her. No pretending or paying attention to the words that left his mouth. It was easy with him.

Still, Daemon had had a plan in mind, probably all along, and Keynna became a part of it. A great plan, she informed him, as well as, her non-existent enthusiasm of it.

A fake pregnancy and an upcoming wedding. Keynna got to know the real reason a few days later, because Daemon thought he had to steal the dragon egg that was meant for his nephew. An unnecessary argument. You banished me, now I'll take the egg from your dead son'.

It was tradition among the Targaryens to place a dragon egg in the cradle of the newborn child, hoping the dragon would hatch. The Targaryens were dragon riders, but not everyone was lucky enough to have one. Many a dragon, did not hatch at all.

The answer to the stolen egg came quickly. Of course, this did not remain without consequences. In the form of Otto Hightower and a few soldiers of the king, followed by Daemon's niece Rhaenyra on her dragon Syrax in the wake.

Two demands were made. The egg should be returned and Dragonstone should leave. If this, Otto Hightower demanded, Keynna knew how seriously Daemon took it. No small reason why this was merely smiled at.

If it had stayed with Hightower and his entourage and Rhaenyra hadn't shown up, Daemon would have kept the egg for sure, but this way, he ended up throwing it to his niece. Simply throwing an egg, a dragon egg, possessed a great deal of.... Hatchability.... Ignorance, because, such an egg threw such precious and everyone knew, especially a Targaryen, because they were told that a dragon meant power. And a dragon rider meant to throw such an egg. No matter how short the distance.

But what the conversation itself was about and made Daemon return the egg, Keynna could not understand, since the two Targaryens were talking in Valyrian. Unimportant, Daemon merely said as she gave a look that meant 'why?' No simple why, as the prince knew, this one knew Keynna too well for that. This effort, this whole act, was over just like that? So 'simple'? A little conversation in Valyrian? All this fuss, ultimately for what? To understand Prince Daemon Targaryen. Just to piss off big brother.

The throne and his claim, Daemon told, and that Rhaenyra was ready to be killed.

It got even better, however, when Lord Corlys invited Velaryon to Driftmark and to discuss something, extremely important, with Daemon.

"And now?", Keynna wanted to know from her husband after he told her about the Sea Snake's plan, "What should I do in your absence?"

"You'll think of something," Daemon replied good-humoredly, although it was not clear to Keynna where this came from, originated, or was owed, "Do what I would do."

"And that would be?", a stupid question, Keynna realized, no sooner had she uttered it than she knew.

"Enjoy yourself," it was heard from Daemon and with that Keynna got her confirmation, "Enjoy yourself while I go to war."

"My poor Daemon," Keynna began to tease the dragon rider, "That is the way it is. It is your duty."

No, it wasn't. And excuses that this was a stupid idea Keynna didn't even need to try. Once Daemon had set his mind on something, it was over. From then on, no one could dissuade him from his planned intention.