22

For the time being, Keynna would stay in the same hostel where the tournament for Visery's unborn child had taken place.

Indefinitely, was Keynna's answer to the question of how long she could stay until she found a suitable place to stay or something. Good luck with that, a matter that would not be easy, as the woman of the inn informed her, for King's Landing was not one of the cheapest places in Westeros.

If Keynna had enough money, this should not be too difficult, or if she lowered her standards. On the outskirts of the city or in the poorer neighborhoods, the rents would be quite affordable.

Something Keynna did not have to decide immediately and would have a few days to do so, as nothing needed to be rushed.

It was much more important just to be able to get by at all.

To be alone. No eyes resting, watching or following one's every move was extremely pleasant, especially here, in the city, among humans and not isolated, on an island.

From then until now, Keynna could hardly notice any changes in the capital. There would be some, but she knew the city and its inhabitants too little to recognize them. Even someone who spends his whole life in one place will not notice everything, and the bigger the place, the less you will notice. In small settlements, where everyone knows each other and the size of the town with its shops and inhabitants is manageable, this is certainly the case.

The weeks went by much faster than Keynna had expected, if only because there was something new every day. New things to discover, to see and once again to hear. Many citizens were so careless about what was said to whom and where. There was talk and gossip. Just like back then. Totally careless and uninhibited. Especially in the evening, when the streets and alleys became empty and "nobody" listened anymore, because people were at home sleeping. Supposedly.

'Have you heard? Person XY is having an affair with YX.'
'An important and respected person was seen in a brothel, despite having a wife and child.'
'Yesterday, yesterday, you won't believe me, Bla and Bla are a couple. I saw them together.'
'They say the king is sick and will die soon. And there is no successor. It can't be his daughter. A child.'

The problem with everything Keynna heard was what was important, or might be important one day, and what was really worth forgetting. Even a trivial matter, one might think, might be useful at some point, even if only to get a piece of information that might lead to another, much more important one, or a favor. In the end, it didn't matter.