How to Control Your Emotions Part 8

Emotion is a natural internal feeling in response to a certain life situation. Your reaction to what you see or hear at any point in time will generate a corresponding feeling in your mind or heart. Love, hate anger, jealousy, and even lust of the flesh for sex are all emotional feelings anyone could be subjected to in life. Emotion is a person's internal state of being human; your feelings in certain life's situation can seriously affect your decision or action.

No one is above this natural human's feelings; therefore, you must learn how to master your emotions if you wish to succeed in life.

In an emotional state, the first thing that could trigger this feeling is the perception of an existing object; the second thing is the mental shock, and the third thing is what happens to you as a result of the shock. For instance, if you are walking through an open field and you suddenly see a big cow with a pair of huge horns running madly towards you, your perception of this moving animal causes a mental shock in you. This mental distress is immediately followed by bodily reaction.

The emotion of fear now triggers your natural instinct, which is to flee, and you run away quickly out of the way from the mad cow!

The above situation illustrates the mental reaction in an emotional state of the mind; the other emotional states are ideational reaction and the organic reaction. In ideational reaction, the thought of something, the mere "idea" alone is sufficient to trigger the emotional process in the mind. In organic reaction, there must be organic changes in the body system, that is, a disturbance in the internal organs of the body that is sufficient enough to trigger certain emotion in the mind.

Alcohol and dangerous drugs affects the internal human organs, and the influence of alcohol or dangerous drugs triggers changes in human emotions. Too much cocaine or any other dangerous drugs taken in excess could render a strong man to become very weak, or the excessive dangerous drugs could render a weak man to become exceptionally strong. Alcohol taken in excess could make a man who is generally moody to become happy, adventurous, bold to speak to a high class woman, or could become very cruel when he is in organic reaction kind of emotion as a result of the excessive alcohol in his body system.

Emotions are marked by two outstanding characteristic features, first, their tendency to persist when triggered, two, the reaction to attack any object which presents itself as opponent. This natural instinct is noticeable in animals, this is the reason why a dog sighting another dog in its domain will react without knowing why the other dog is in that environment, the angry dog will bark furiously, making so much noise; and if the other dog is not remove from the compound, the angry dog will attack the other dog, and they will fight like enemies.

The reason for this fight is because a strange dog triggers the anger emotion in the possessive dog. Some people are like animals in this respect when they are angry. When the "emotion of anger" is triggered in a woman or man, they will suddenly fight like sworn enemies even if they are married or if they are close friends. They will fight and forget about their cordia relationship at the moment of temporary madness!

Natural instinct

Inborn instinct will direct a new born baby to its mother's breasts, andsuck it when hungry to its satisfaction. Natural instinct will also directanyone to lift the hand with food directly into the mouth even with the eyes closed.

Instinct may be regarded as inborn tendencies of the mind to act in a specific way naturally. Natural instinct cannot be taught as a skill acquisition in a workshop training program, nor can it be removed from the mind entirely, but natural instinct could be modified to a certain extent through modern environment and education.

The Dictionary defined instincts as; "A natural feeling or knowledge, which men and animals seem to have without thinking and without being taught". It is because of natural instincts in everyone that has made education to fail in most cases, or instincts would not allow education to have appreciable impacts in shaping rightly the characters of the youth in many parts of the world. To understand a child, you must understand its dominant instincts.

All your fault findings in a child, your admonitions, your punishment, will be of no use unless you understand the part a child's instincts play in its life. This also applies to everyone. If you wish to understand yourself, you must understand your instincts and the part they play or have played in your life. Your instincts are the hidden forces that are constantly urging you to help others or do evil things. When natural instincts made some people to do evil things, they turn around to blame the devil for what they did naturally according to their instincts.

Instincts will push you into action that may eventually lead to success in any pursuit of your choice; instincts could also push you into what may lead to a woeful failure in a business venture. Instincts could make you to worry over nothing or raise your hope to the high points of happiness and peace of mind.

You cannot ignore the power of your natural instincts. Your natural instincts could build you up, and it could also destroy you if not checked.

Desires

A desire is regarded as an uneasy sense of want, a need for something which demands for satisfaction. In real desire, we are always conscious of the end we seek in our mind. The origin or the root foundation of a desire may be either physical or mental, but it is always a mental process of the mind.

It is important to note that the strength of a desire lies not in desire alone, but in the totality of all your desires which pile together to form a person's character. For instance, if you have a sudden desire to steal some money,

this single desire will not have enough force to carry out the act of stealing money unless it is supported with other desires in your character which will support stealing; such as: your love for easy virtues women, and expensive taste for high life, these combination of desires will drive the person to steal the money without any further delay!

Let us look at the issue from another angle, you may have a desire for a university education, but if the dominant desires of your nature are for easy life, easy women, high taste of living and drinking, your desire for a university education will have little chance of success in a constant conflict with these stronger desires for temporary enjoyment for women and high taste for expensive living.

Motives

A motive is more than a desire; a desire may be a smaller force that could push you into action. You may have a desire to be a medical doctor, Lawyer or an Engineer, but without a strong motive for any of the professions mentioned in this section and any other profession for that matter, you may find the course very difficult to understand. However, if you have strong motive for medical profession, or any other professions, nothing can stop you from your quest for the profession of your choice.

My motive for writing inspiring books is to share my knowledge with people of the world for financial rewards.

A motive is an incentive to act; a reason for doing something; anything that prompted a choice of action.

It is a motivational force behind your action or inaction. Nearly everyone desires to have plenty of money and acquire wealth with it, but many people get no further than this mere desires for money unless they can support their desire with a strong motive, such as; a passionate determination to get out of poverty level by all legally possible means.

Motive can be either for good or bad purpose, but in any case, the objective is something you hope to achieve in due season when you conceived the end result in your mind, and always channel your train of thoughts consistently on that aim alone. It is not always easy to know your real motives for acting in a certain way, but you will be deceiving yourself if you say your motive is this or that until you spend some time to analyze your motive closely.

Try to know your real motive behind any action or inaction you take from this very moment, knowing your real motive behind whatever you do could help you to succeed in it. My real motive for doing what I am doing is because I love to teach people, and the financial gain is secondary to my main motive for writing books. What is your real motive for what you are doing?